very very poorly v8 disco

lrdisco93

hi guys,

so here goes with my head scratching problem. the other day i was driving my disco 3.9 v8 (1994) on gas at the time and boosh stopped, my initial reaction was turn it to petrol via the lpg switch and nothing, no start no nothing. so i had got it towed back home and changed the coil, dizzy and dizzy cap. the dizzy is a brand new one from simonbbc and its he electric ignition one.

so i also removed all the lpg as some landyzone guy said remove this as it may be the cause of the stoppage but no it wasn't. now to the point where i have a really good spark and i do believe fuel is getting to the plugs. Still nothing no firing no nothing just continuous turning over with no startup. been working on it for 4 days now and nothing, tomorrow i am going to follow the rave manual and set it to 6* BTDC and try again making sure the stroke is on the compression side and not the in stroke.

if anyone else can extend on this subject with me i would be hugely grateful.

really stressed out and frustrated Nick

:wacko:

I feel your pain. Been there, done that thing.

I have thought I had a good spark in the past, but my relatively new ignition coil had packed up. Replaced that, and away it went.

It should run even if the timing is quite a way out, it'll just be rough. I once replaced my dizzy, but got it 180 degrees out or something so that the spark wasn't occurring on the compression stroke, but on the exhaust stroke. Are you sure you have it fitted correctly? I would check that too.

The other thing I can think of, is have you got high enough fuel pressure? A failed fuel pump won't give enough fuel to start, but petrol does still get through, so will wet the plugs. I had that one recently. If you carefully break a fuel line you should get fuel squirting out a lot. Even better is to use a fuel pressure gauge, or use the Rovergauge software to see if you have a low fuel pressure fault code. It could be coincidence that it just died on LPG, but you have a fuel pump problem too. Can you make your LPG system start on LPG only?

Good luck.

I agree with Dunc, but I would not have removed the LPG, if had ran fine on LPG but stopped I would have been looking for an electrical problem with the change over switching and fuel solenoids, I had the change over relays sticking on gas once the tanks were empty and wouldn't switch back,2X €3.99 relays and away we went again.

Ah the wonderfull Lucarse Hatefull Wire System :D

You MUST have the fuel pump sound/run and prime and then click out - it sounds as if you do not have power to the ECU, which controls the fuel pump

Check for any fuses you may have, and then its a case of systematically checking through the system, using the guide I have linked

to here : http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=16476 which I shoved up on here yonks ago

The secret is to take NOTHING for granted and work you way SYSTEMATICALLY through the test - don't be tempted to skip anything.

Then report back :)

Nige

so guys im so glad that you guys who have responded have given me so much more than the other forums ive posted on. so heres the thing ive got it going :i-m_so_happy: dont ask me how but i did, i removed the dizzy again and re fitted it again making sure no 1 piston with spark plug was removed and made sure it was tdc on the compression stroke. it was i re fitted it and wallaah it fired up but OMG it was lumpy as hell. so with the dizzy loose ish i turned it to advance it so it wasn't running terrible. but didnt have a timing strobe at this point, i was waiting for me mate to drop his strobe off so i could time it up, anyways he dropped it of and we fired it up and it was hellishly out by one tooth on the cog when it drops in. DAMN so we did that and im not kidding guys its running lovely today, no problems what so ever.

but i do thank you guys for your info provided, i will remember this for the next time :rofl:

Could well have been that. All I know is it's running and I like it. Just a shame about it being auto but ill live with that for a bit longer at least till after the white stuff has fallen.

Just got me rock sliders to put on then I'm sorted :-D

Nothing wrong with a V8 auto ;)

Sorry if I offended auto fans it's just I've been a manual box type of guy with all my discos just has a alien feel to it when my left foot is left abandoned doing nothing. Would like to get my cruise control and rear electric windows working again :-)

Sorry if I offended auto fans it's just I've been a manual box type of guy with all my discos just has a alien feel to it when my left foot is left abandoned doing nothing.

Learn to left-foot brake ;):)

Not offended of course, just friendly banter :)