Engine cut out briefly whilst driving

Hello everyone

I have recently acquired a 2004 double cab td5 defender and have been driving around with a grin on my face since.

However whilst driving the 'tank' today the engine cut out on me a few times. What happens is that the engine dies very briefly then picks up again, the glow plug and engine management lights briefly come on the dash and the temp gauge drops to far left. After a few seconds the engine kicks back in but then cuts out a few seconds later. She'll do this a few times and then carry on like nothing has happened.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing this?

Cheers

Alex

As everything appears to be going off, it sounds like either an earth or power feed is intermittent, I would check the ignition switch, if you have a lot of keys on the ring as you go over a bump it could be just jolting it out of the 'run' position.

The other area is earths, there's one on the bulkhead under the bonnet for sure, and probably a few others out there, be wise to check/clean them all.

If they are OK, then it is time to start looking closer at connectors and possibly wiring damage...

Also check earth's and connections under the drivers seat.....

And.... Remove the big connectors to the ECU and see if they are covered in oil....

If oily, clean thoroughly (Brake cleaner or similar) and consider filling the actual sockets with Vaseline. (The little covers with slots in them do come off) This will not allow any more oil into the sockets. (Hopefully you won't have oil in the ECU.)

(Oil comes down the loom from the loom from the injector loom)

A quick search on the board will show others have done this.

Hope this helps.

Neil

Thanks Guys

I did take a quick look under the drivers seat this afternoon and although dusty I couldn't see any oil on the wiring loom or ecu. I didn't pull the connections apart though so I guess there could be some oil actually in the connection. I'll check this tomorrow along with the earth's. Can anyone point me in the right direction for the earthing points?

I don't think it's the keys jigging about as I only have the two keys on the keyring and i failed to replicate the fault by jigging the key in the ignition. On thought that struck me was maybe it might have something to do with the immobiliser. As far as I know the immobiliser has not been activated on my landy as it's the base model but is it possible that the immobiliser might be temporarily activating whilst driving.

Anyway thanks for your help so far, it's a really great forum.

Cheers

Alex

Don't think its the immobiliser, after all the earths are checked, remove, clean, and re crimp every relay terminal under the seat, I think the main relay is causing this purely due to age and having a poor connection, this is my suggestion......could be way off.

Cheers again guys got all your help. I'm going to spray the contacts in the red ecu connector with contact cleaner tomorrow. I took her out for a longish spin today and no repeat of the cutting out problem.

Can anyone tell me where the earthing points in the engine bay are? I had a look today but couldn't see them.

Cheers

Alex