109 1Ton spring centres

ejparrott

Has anyone got a dimension for the hole centres on 109 1-ton spring hangers? A PO of my 109 replaced the rear spring front outriggers with standard spring hangers, left the front axle the same and lef the 1-ton shackles on the rear. As a result my axle is sitting at the wrong angle. I'd like to put it back to standard by replacing the hangers. Richards were initially happy to sell me the right bits, but then decided that the welding was too difficult and that I should replace the whole outrigger and everything. Not very easy to do with mine.

Anyway, I have a friendly welder mate, so I was going to built my own. Just short of the information for the hole centres. Had a look in the green book but seems to be no information.

Thanks

Perfect, Thank you very much!

I'm thinking of getting some 6mm steel drilled to the right centre's and using a spring bolt to hold them in the right place and weld them to the exisiting standard mounts. Then cut away the original gussets for the standard mounts, and replace them with new ones for the longer hangers. Looks like more than yours maybe has, but I can't help thinking a bit of strengthening lower down can't be a bad thing.

• 1 year later...

To bring this up to date, the old civvy spring hangers are now gone...

006.jpg

Replaced by a pair of Richards' proper military/1-ton hangers...

003.jpg

Welded in by my rather tall friend who managed to work his way into some rather awkward spots to get them glued on...

007.jpg

And now we look the biz...

008.jpg

009.jpg

I've just got some new 1-ton dampers for her, have a feeling those on her were also civvy....

012.jpg

Unfortunately I could only get Britpart....they'll (hopefully) do for now until she really starts getting some use, then I'll upgrade all four to something decent.

Next up is to replace the little bent plate that sits behind the bump stop...no idea where that went to! Richards want all of £3 for it so it's not worth me trying to draw it up and get someone to make it.

Then...bump-stops, or more precisely the extension that bolt to the chassis to facilitate fitting normal bump-stops. I looked up some pictures, not keen on paying over £100 for a set, so I'll make my own. Would I be right in assuming that they are also the magic 1.5" tall, to match the centers of the spring bolts?

So yes, 1-ton dampers are about 2" longer than standard, and yes it did have civvy dampers fitted....

002.jpg

However....new problem....

001.jpg

Any suggestions??

I admit I was hoping.....managed to order the wrong bolts...ordered shackle bolts instead of damper bolts for some reason....

I've been pouring penetrating oil into it since Friday, several goes with the blowtorch getting the end red hot, got an 8.8mm holes drilled into the end of it...no movement yet, but it will come out! Have had rust dust dropping out the end when I've been wacking it though, seems it's in the middle where it's being held.