Cylinder head bolts

Normbourne

Hey lads,

I am trying to source a set of head bolts to suit a series 3, 4 cylinder petrol engine.

I've managed to get the majority of them but the ones I am looking for are the, four short ones, located near the spark plugs.

I thought that maybe high tensile bolts from a local supplier would suffice,

But apparently, high tensile bolts have different grades.

So the question is, where can I locate the OEM bolts, or failing that, what grade high tensile bolts do I need.

Thanks,

Norm.

They're not stretch bolts - so can be re-used over and over again.

Worth checking the threads in the block are clean right the way down - with no build up of grease and muck in the bottom - and that the bolt threads aren't corroded. I run a tap down the block threads as part of the cleaning process and a die down the bolts.

Thanks lads, actually the block is a remanufactured short engine so there is no problems concerning threads in the block. The original bolts have 65 V 75 stamped on the heads.....?? and they are indeed stretched in that they are extremely loose in the threads. Incidentally, the cylinder is also a remanufactured unit, supplied by turners in the UK. so obviously I'm pretty keen to get things right..!

Hmm..Silly thought, you haven't got imperial head bolts in a block that's been tapped metric have you? I've never seen a 2286 head bolt in that kind of condition before. If they're really that bad in the holes, it points to them being previously done up too tight, and either the bolt or block is damaged.

I've still got the original block from which the bolts came from, so I' ll try them in their original holes. It could well be that they've been over tightened.

But the new bolts I did manage to obtain, fit fine in the new block, so I don't think there is a problem there in terms of the block being tapped metric.

• 2 weeks later...