Help Needed P38

Simon_CSK

The battery on my P38 went flat and now I am left with my engine immobilized. I have tried inputting the keycode but it does not work. I have tried resyncing the key and that does not work. Does anybody have any ideas what else I can do?

Yes, happened to mine. The battery has to have a good charge don't simply put a booster on. Leave it for 20-30 mins to clear its head...

Try the key code a few times, it says you get 3 attempts and then 30 mins lockout. But only if the switch is recognising the key as the lights will flash etc. if not keep going and if it doesn't work after a while, you need to open the door, alarm will go off for 30 odd seconds.

Then you need to remove the door card and find the wiring for the door lock.

There is a method of cutting two or three wires together to simulate the switch if its broken, but which wires I don't know.

Have a look on here as well: http://www.rangerovers.net/repairdetails/becm/alarm.html

Interesting about the battery needing good charge thank for that.

I have two other door locks with keys so to input the code I can change one out temporarily although I do think I will need to replace as my lock was buzzing when I locked it before the battery failure.

Cutting the wires also makes sense as you would just be simulating the electrical switch.

Will let you know how things go thanks for the assistance.

Any other ideas greatly appreciated.

Also have a read about battery drains on that link, I bought mine flat... Ran it for three months went on laning trips in the lakes and Wales no problem, parked up for two days when at work and it was dead as a dodo.

I know exactly what caused my battery drain and it was my own stupid fault.

Your drain can be down to the RF receiver on your car. It is on the same frequency as wireless broadband and this can keep the cars electronics awake causing battery drain. The receiver has three different generations. That I do know. :glare::)

Yes, happened to mine. The battery has to have a good charge don't simply put a booster on. Leave it for 20-30 mins to clear its head...

Try the key code a few times, it says you get 3 attempts and then 30 mins lockout. But only if the switch is recognising the key as the lights will flash etc. if not keep going and if it doesn't work after a while, you need to open the door, alarm will go off for 30 odd seconds.

Then you need to remove the door card and find the wiring for the door lock.

There is a method of cutting two or three wires together to simulate the switch if its broken, but which wires I don't know.

Have a look on here as well: http://www.rangerovers.net/repairdetails/becm/alarm.html

Ash

Just pulled the handle off another Range Rover and found that there is a lot of play in the locking mechanism which could send the wrong code to the computer. It is one to look out for in the future. I think there is more scope in removing the door handle and manipulating the lock by hand.

Ive got a BBS kicker thingy !! but its for a motronic engine, Its supposed to re-sync your engine to your BeCM you can borrow it if it helps..

Dont think it works for GEMS engines though..

Andy

Andy that is very generous of you Thanks but I have a GEMS engine. I think I will test the AA's home start. But I suspect they will just want to take the car to a garage.

Andy that is very generous of you Thanks but I have a GEMS engine. I think I will test the AA's home start. But I suspect they will just want to take the car to a garage.

From personal experience, if you aren't able to get the car to accept the keycode then all the AA will be able to do is recover it to a garage (dealer or independent with the right diagnostic kit - check they can do before telling the AA where to take it).

From personal experience, if you aren't able to get the car to accept the keycode then all the AA will be able to do is recover it to a garage (dealer or independent with the right diagnostic kit - check they can do before telling the AA where to take it).

Geoff

I have a garage who can unlock the code they did it for my last Range Rover. I will leave it for a couple of week and combine it with the MOT as he is 40 miles away.