94 Disco stopped running suddenly while waiting in the drive thru

wabuson

To be quick-
Sitting in line at the drive through, cool evening, truck running fine. Stalls. No noise before hand or low idle. No nothing. The engine just stopped running. The Oil, Battery, and ABS lights came on and there was no break in electrical power as the radio kept running fine. Starter is cranking. I can hear the fuel pump relay and the pump itself initiate when I turn the engine on. Pressure is in the fuel line as well. I don't hear anything unusual when I try and crank it, it just doesn't start. Any idea's on things I should try?

I'm sure someone else will give you a better answer than I can but if that happened to me I would also check the fuel shut off solenoid on the injector pump.

Since you have pressure in the fuel rail then chances are it isn't the lift pump although it might be worth checking manually as if you were bleeding a new fuel filter.

I assume you there is a reasonable amount of diesel in the tank (just clutching at straws).

Mark

May seem silly to ask but what engine? Sounds like TD5 as don't think 200/300s have an electric pump so maybe something to do with the fuel pressure regulator if a TD5 but does sound like an electrical fault if it just stopped dead!!

Stupid me, 94 and electric pump is a V8 if am not correct? is it a 3.5 or 3.9?

May seem silly to ask but what engine? Sounds like TD5 as don't think 200/300s have an electric pump so maybe something to do with the fuel pressure regulator if a TD5 but does sound like an electrical fault if it just stopped dead!!

Stupid me, 94 and electric pump is a V8 if am not correct? is it a 3.5 or 3.9?

I always forget to mention the engine style. It's a 3.5 V8. I'm going to check for a spark today as well.

Agreed. If it all sounds normal but just won't 'catch' then try removing the stop solenoid wire when the ignition is on. You should hear a tick as the power is removed from the solenoid.

I'm sure someone else will give you a better answer than I can but if that happened to me I would also check the fuel shut off solenoid on the injector pump.

Since you have pressure in the fuel rail then chances are it isn't the lift pump although it might be worth checking manually as if you were bleeding a new fuel filter.

I assume you there is a reasonable amount of diesel in the tank (just clutching at straws).

Mark

Sorry I always forget to mention- The engine is 3.5L V8.

No probs. I should have realised a 200/300 tdi does not have an electric fuel pump like NigelW did.

As previously mentioned I would try to find out if it was fuel or spark. First thing I tend to do is use a spark tester.

I've never run a v8 but if it is old enough to have a distributor I would check the cap and rotor arm (A friends Mercedes failed to start simply due to poor contacts on the rotor arm and cap).