Netherlands blue paper.

Nigelw

Not sure if some of our Dutch members would like to fill in the blanks for me but as I understand it, from January 2014, if it is all given the green light this week then there will be heavy tax burdens against 4X4 users and I quote one member of a Belgian forum I frequent, they are talking €145 per month in tax for private users, and that will be on top of the €2200 a year they already pay taking them up to €3700 per anum.

Bit scary me thinks :o:o:o

They have/are about to do away with private light commercial vehicle taxation as many 4x4s were converted to just 2 seats to get the lower tax bracket of €150 as opposed the €900 but now you can only claim the light freight class if you have a company to register it to.

Seems the anti 4x4 lobby is in town :angry:

Yes, holland is a bad place to be if you like offroaders. Or cars full stop. Or houses. Or jobs. In the last case, if you are out of a job, or unable to work, or retired, holland is a very good place. And thats why the taxes are very high, because that has to come from something. You get taxed on anything you do basically. including using drugs.

just some idle thoughts....

Daan

Link for those that can read Dutch better than me.

http://www.xrover.be/Xforum/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=65830&start=0

this is about the removal of road tax free for classic cars in holland. Most landrover enthousiast have a 25 year old landrover, which is tax free. Thats is the only way to do it, or pay £2200 euro, depending on weight of car. This is for LPG or Diesel. petrol is about half the price in road tax.

There were truckloads of cars coming into holland that were 25 years old, every year it moves, so now a 1988 defender would be taxfree. People would get a taxfree car and use it for their daily commute. This wasn't what the 25 year old rules were meant for. On the other hand, with taxes that high, tax evation (which is what this is basically) becomes a national sport.

They have now changed the age to 40 years, so loads of people now have to pay full whack which is for many people too much.

It is now back as it was, with 1973 cars being tax free.

There used to be the commercial option, with 2 seats only, but they have reduced to vat registered people only, so that avenue is closed of as well.

Daan

Tax evasion is still very much a national sport here ;)

I see now, after mulling it over with Leon, we both thought it was on top of the €2200/yr tax and aimed at all 4x4s, oh well :blush:

Lots of goodies to be had on Kapaza right now, just been looking at a mint series 3 88" station wagon, 2.25 petrol with O/D and LPG already installed for bargain price of €5,500 :o

Better not :ph34r:

This does not bode well as Britain always follows The Netherlands (Gatso, variable speed limits, etc.) only we do it far worse. A10 ring road for Amsterdam has maybe 2 Gatso cameras when I lived there, M25 try 120 Gatso positions in a 5 mile section alone!!!

This does not bode well as Britain always follows The Netherlands (Gatso, variable speed limits, etc.) only we do it far worse. A10 ring road for Amsterdam has maybe 2 Gatso cameras when I lived there, M25 try 120 Gatso positions in a 5 mile section alone!!!

Thats a bold statement you make there. I bet you passed more speed checks than you know, just that you didn't see them. They can be hidden in holland, and they are.

Daan

This is most likely the main reason why the UK stopped the rolling historic status at 31/12/72 in 1997 as they foresaw the potential problem with those wishing to evade tax by running an older car, but it is very much swings and round about's as far as the taxation goes as I see it from a different point of view.

You want your €2200/yr + fuel duty. But is it not feasible that the €2200 can be made up multiple times by furthering the industries that surround the hobby of off roading? I for one would rather see a small machine shop ticking over nicely doing wheel spacers and roll cages and selling off road tyres than have those same guys sitting on the dole waiting for the next social handout. Or is there something wrong with that? I see it highly possible that the idiotic €2200/yr can be far exceeded in terms of long term savings by allowing industry to flourish and maintain a work force whereby the game of cat and mouse can continue but everybody makes out of it not just the public getting shafted harder than Jordan in a strip club!!!

On the subject of speed traps, I love the Eindhoven ring, I counted something along the lines of 70 cameras and saw a mobile radar station too......