Won't go Low, Linkage ?

1993 Defender 90.

After not using low ratio all year, I attempted to rngage it and just felt a spongy resistance. No sound effects as she tried to find her way in so I'm guessing its a problem with the linkage.

Before I lift the mats and remove all my recently replace soundproofing and the tunnel, are there any usual suspect parts I can order so as not to have to put it all back together, order the parts and take it all apart etc again ?

Anyone got any pics of the low - high linkage and what to replace/adjust ?

PS. Still working on the electrical problem :)

• 2 months later...

A couple of weeks later and I couldn't get low again. Just removed the middle seat box cover this time. After some adjusting it appears I'm only going to get EITHER high or low when using the normal method of shifting. If I use a shifter I can select HI or Low with ease. There seems to be an awful lot of dead space between the few millimetres it need to click into either high or low and the stick just runs out of travel before it gets there.

Yes, there are 6 bolts in all, undo all 6 and lift the whole thing away, with the seat box in place it is a bit tight but I have managed in the past, try and clean the top of the transfer box up a bit as well to reduce the chance of carp falling in. The actuator on the outside rotates the shaft and pushes a fork to engage high and low ratio, the fork is secured to a flat on the shaft with a grub screw or bolt and it probable this that has come loose so when you rotate the shaft there is enough slack that the gear lever won't engange gear correctly but by using an adjustable spanner you mover the shaft enough for the fork to change gear.

Just tighten it up, blob of thread lock might be a good plan as well, re assmble and you might have to adjust the linkages for it to operate correctly but that is pretty straight forward.

• 2 months later...

Did the job. Grub screw was about to fall out it was so loose. Had two attempts getting the fork in workable position. Hi-Low selection better than ever. Hope grub screw stays put for a while but not sure if it may have put a groove into shaft with being losse for so long.

Some images for reference

Top Removed

gallery_38875_1416_1932321.jpg

Looking at the shaft fork and grub screw.

gallery_38875_1416_463262.jpg