300tdi battery warning light

Reiny

The battery warning light on my 300tdi 90 has suddenly decided to remind me that it's still alive. I was driving along when I realised that the dash lights flickered for a second or two (I was driving with headlights on), followed by the battery warning light. Stopped to investigate but was dressed for work so couldn't really delve in. Anywway, continued my journey to work with no further trouble apart from having a bright red battery warning light stare me straight in the eye. I know that it's probably the alternator's brushes and rectifier pack but what's worrying me more is the fact that on a few occasions, the indicators brightness seemed to be weak and there were two occasions when the engine almost stalled (radio flickered on and off too). Seemed to me like the stop solenoid was not getting power. Battery is brand new with lots of juice left in it. What should I start looking at? I happen to have a spare alternator at home so I'll swap that over for starters. Should I be worried about anything else?

check the aux belt is in good order and with that off give the alternator a spin by hand to check the bearings haven't colapsed. Other than that the brushes and the pack as you say, should be 14.2-14.4v when charging and 12.2-12.9v when switched off.

I did mine a few years ago when the bearing had partially collapsed stalling the alternator and the belt was chafing, this caused the light to flicker more as the bearing got worse till it stayed on when it failed.

There are two lengths of aux belt for the 300tdi, an early and a late, worth checking your engine no. before ordering. I keep a spare under my seat now as you can change it with a 15mm? spanner, if you haven't got aircon fitted (another belt to take off first)

Thanks a lot Pete. I'm hoping that it's not the bearings. Last time they collapsed, I was left stranded (which was what prompted me to purchase a second hand spare alternator) when I was driving to my workshop to remove the damned thing. Hope it gives me 20 minutes to get home.

When my bearings collapsed, the alternator wouldn't spin and stopped the engine in the process! Should that happen today, I'll just call a tow truck. It's a free service for members anyway. It's just that I don't feel like waiting for it and spannering this afternoon. Last working day of the year should be celebrated with booze not grimy hands and skinned knuckles!