Insurance Advice Please

M.I.B

Any hot tips on insurance - I know it differs for lots of folk, but are there any "avoids" and any "hot tips"?

46 with full NCD, standard '06 TD5 110 County and happy to do limited mileage - this is the 3rd car in the family so it'll only get used properly not as a daily.

Thanks in advance.

I'm in fifties modified Series V8 etc, limited mileage £35 per year plus brokerage. Brokerage is two times the insurance cost!

Looking at possible electronic speedo so I can turn it off on play days as I don't see why I should use up the limit when not insurred, but at the mo it does less than the limit as it is not allowed on sites due to no seatbelts.

Maybe you'd be better off with a multi vehicle policy on one of your other cars and add the Defender to it? Might be cheaper than a stand alone policy?

Other than that I suppose it depends on what you mean by "tricks and tips"? Usual tips are go for an agreed value voluntarily increasing your excess I found helped on a couple of policies I held in the past. But then it could be worth researching what aftermarket trackers and alarm systems are in favor to also aid in getting the premiums down, some are even cottoning on to the idea of dash cams to be used when in motion and this can also bring down premiums.

Suppose it depends on how much shopping around you are prepared to do also? Being standard is a big help as it is a case of "nothing extra to declare" but as soon as you start adding the toys it can really hamper finding insurers as some are not actually sure what a roll cage is let alone what air locking diffs really are.

Try your local NFU office(find local office to call direct or pop in!!) Or just pick up a LR mag and starting ringing :rolleyes:

As ^^ just a case of ringing around. It seems very random - I paid around £180 with Adrian Flux 2 years ago. Then at renewal time with no claims or changes over the year they quoted around £800 and wouldn't budge despite their claimed 'price match promise' (they threw up so many obstacles it was easier to go with the other quote). A year with sureterm later, they beat everybody else on the same vehicle, same cover, still no claims and no change in details. I don't understand it really.

My vehicle has some mods so it's made me lean towards getting a nice, standard 300tdi or TD5 and have the luxury of being able to use comparison sites!

i would suggest NFU as well, you may pay slightly more than the cheapest , but if you do any driver changes, car swaps etc , the cheap ones really hammer you . It will depend a bit on where you live as they are quite picky with who they are prepared to insure . I have used them for years , and currently have 4 vehicles with them two very non standard , and inc business use . Very nice people to deal with JMHO

usual disclaimers re interest etc

Get secure, private, off-road parking.

Choose a high excess (Mine's £1000: I have a pet lawyer in the family so recovering any excess from 3rd party is not going to be a problem).

Live in a low-risk, rural, low-crime postcode.

Be in a low-risk 'professional' employment category - Company Director, Accountant, Doctor, Dentist, Business Consultant - or something like "Retired civil-servant". Avoid anything with "entertainment/arts" or licensed-trade overtones.

Look at a single policy to cover all your vehicles, conditional on only one being used on-road at any time.

Join an appropriate owners-club: often the annual membership fee is less than the discount on insurance available to members.

If you're old, investigate "Over-fifties" policies available via the likes of CSMA or SAGA - but be aware that they rack up the renewal price every year to the point of rapidly becoming uncompetitive.

Maybe you'd be better off with a multi vehicle policy on one of your other cars and add the Defender to it? Might be cheaper than a stand alone policy?

Multicar worked out much more exensive for all of them. I can get the 110 way down but then the Passat estate goes sky high. And there is no question of ditching it because that beasty eats big motorway trips in a way only LR can dream about.

Suppose it depends on how much shopping around you are prepared to do also? Being standard is a big help as it is a case of "nothing extra to declare" but as soon as you start adding the toys it can really hamper finding insurers as some are not actually sure what a roll cage is let alone what air locking diffs really are.

It's going to stay stock so no need to hide mods.

Try your local NFU office(find local office to call direct or pop in!!) Nice tip - will try that. Thanks. Or just pick up a LR mag and starting ringing :rolleyes:Tried that today - not a lot of joy because it's not old enough for classic insurrance.

Get secure, private, off-road parking.

Choose a high excess (Mine's £1000: I have a pet lawyer in the family so recovering any excess from 3rd party is not going to be a problem).

Live in a low-risk, rural, low-crime postcode.

Be in a low-risk 'professional' employment category - Company Director, Accountant, Doctor, Dentist, Business Consultant - or something like "Retired civil-servant". Avoid anything with "entertainment/arts" or licensed-trade overtones.

Look at a single policy to cover all your vehicles, conditional on only one being used on-road at any time.

Join an appropriate owners-club: often the annual membership fee is less than the discount on insurance available to members.

Nice tips - was aware of those and still got nothing "decent" in the way of quotes.
Going to try the NFU route as listed earlier.
Like the sound of the one at the top, but no reference to any insurer.

As ^^ just a case of ringing around. It seems very random - I paid around £180 with Adrian Flux 2 years ago. Then at renewal time with no claims or changes over the year they quoted around £800 and wouldn't budge despite their claimed 'price match promise' (they threw up so many obstacles it was easier to go with the other quote). A year with sureterm later, they beat everybody else on the same vehicle, same cover, still no claims and no change in details. I don't understand it really.

My vehicle has some mods so it's made me lean towards getting a nice, standard 300tdi or TD5 and have the luxury of being able to use comparison sites!

Comparison sites come up really cheap if it is your daily. We have 2 dailys which really are dailys and I can't get them any lower.

Got a call booked with Flux tomorrow - fingers crossed.

Rang one firm today and I got the feeling they didn't beleive me when I tried to insure it as a stocker - should have told them it was modded to bits and hacked about as well......

I'm in fifties modified Series V8 etc, limited mileage £35 per year plus brokerage. Brokerage is two times the insurance cost!

Are you going to say who dishes out respectale quotes like that? Sounds right on.

Peter Best seems to have great prices for "classics" and heavily modded, but less than 10 years old or unmodifed and he's not a lot of cop.

Ran out of time and had to go with Flux.. Ouch, but it's done............................