Evaluating a non-runner.

Frogland

I'm looking for a project and I've seen a 1991 D1 200tdi. It's an ex-french fire brigade incident control vehicle with only 68000kms ! Naturally I'm interested,the advert says that the heating block and the front driveshaft have been removed.Could a leaking heater box have led to fatal engine damage ?

I'm obviously ready to invest a bit but I'm looking for a project with a sound engine.

How can I tell the engine isn't a total dud without it running ? What should I look out for ?

To be honest I don't think there is any way to tell. When they say heating block, do they mean the heater matrix for the internal blower?

If the car has overheated then it could have caused all sorts of damage that you just can't see without either running it or stripping it. If it's really cheap, like scrap money then it's worth a punt because you can always break it if it's too much to repair. But either way getting another engine is not hard, or expensive.

Without a running engine it really needs to be very extremely rust free!!!

Without running the engine up to running temp you cannot asses it for reliability, and yes a faulty heater box can lead to total melt down of an engine.

If you are in France then there are possibilities of sourcing a S/H engine but not as high as in the UK, not sure but I think the PVG numbers are the same for a 300 as a 200 so could be possible to upgrade to a 300Tdi engine to replace the dud 200 should you need to as it will not take the car outside the CoC for French registration.

If you do buy it and need a heater box with a good matrix and a brand new motor feel free to PM me as I am only in Belgium.

As for what to look for in the rest of the truck, do you know the weak spots of a Disco for rot?

Unless the Pompiers are very different to every other fire brigade, it should be in spotless condition. If it's a rust-free 200TDi Disco then it's worth a punt even if the engine is scrap. Buy it, pressure wash it to death, rustproof the hell out of it, get it going and then either enjoy it or flog it!

I went to see it ,Absolutely amazing bodywork and chassis,totally rust free.Unfortunately it's had the dash taken out in haphazard fashion and the registration paperwork is a bit vague,plus i would need a flatbed to transport it in it's present condition.Still it was quite surreal having to search for corrosion on a landrover !