Disco 1 Steering question

JimDay

Right on my 96 Disco 300TDi where the steering damper attaches to the axle mount there is a what looks like a 6" rubber wheel attached to a bracket but I can't see any reason for it to be there any idea the MOT man today said he thinks it's an anti vibration thingy but wasn't sure he also said it was only fitted to the 300TDi not the 200TDi

Oh & it failed the MOT on a sheared off ball joint on the o/s/r anti roll bar drop link with a couple of other minor advisories .

Cable is to keep it attached to the car in case the rubber center breaks and it were to fall off, no prob in city traffic but on the motorway that would be lethal if it fell off at 70MPH it weighs something like 4lb so good chance it might kill if the cable were not there!!!

Oil soaking is usually engine / diff related.

Had my 1992 200TDi from new and the front axle vibration damper is original. It is essentially a metal casting with a stiff rubber insert. Not the sort of material to "oil soak" unless the rubber has broken down and granulated. If it is still firmly attached and doesn't

wobble about loosely, I would be inclined to leave it in place to do its job! Took mine off at 230k miles and gave it a coat of paint and it is still in good shape.