front windscreen wiper, park

Hi i have a 1990 defender and have just fitted a new park switch to the wiper motor hoping that this would solve the wiper parking problem . Basically i decide where the wipers stop by tutning them off.

Question..is there a wiper relay also in this circuit or is my landrover to old.

I have tried numerous searches but found nothing conclusive.

Ta, the stalk does not stay down when pressed down so there is no wiper relay? I have just had a nosey and there is two relays behind the fuse box to the left of it. One on the far left is a small square black unit and to the right of this is a rectangular glass one, any idea what these do.

spring loaded stalk is flick wipe, so no intermittent function, & no relay.

one relay is most likely the start relay, other will be the indicator/hazard lights unit.

did you get the wire at the park switch the right way, there's a photo in this forum IIRC. do a search for wiper park switch wiring

on the gear there's a ramp which can be moved to other positions on the gear, the ramp just clicks into place.

this one has the park switch connections wiring info http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=45268&hl=%2Bpark+%2Bswitch+%2Bconnections#entry417815 & my other photo's on my photobucket pages http://smg.photobucket.com/user/western214h/library/wiper%20motor%20wiring?sort=3&page=1

The park-switch is fed with an ignition-controlled live feed, which continues to power the motor even if the wiper-switch is returned to 'off' - until the wipers are in the right place when the park-switch opens, cutting motor-power. Check that you've got this ignition-controlled-live at the park-switch.

Another thing to check is the big gear in the motor - the spindle of this fits through the diecast gear-housing and then there's a circlip on the protruding bit. Between the circlip and the diecast housing there should be one or more wavy washers to control the end-float. With time these wear away and ultimately fall out causing excess end-float - then rather than the 'ramp' on the back of the gear pushing the nub of the park-switch, the gear just moves outwards a bit on the end-float and the park-switch never trips.

thanks for the replies, not had chance to check voltage or wiring but I have got something to go at. so the switch is affected mechanically by the gear?

Will check wiring and voltages, think the motor brushes are good as the motor works fine.

I can use two speed and when i press down have continuous wipe until i let go then the wiper stops when i let go of the switch.

recap wonder if the gearing is out of alignment or the part that operates the switch is worn.

Not too expensive to renew completely i guess..

Thanks again great support

Just took a look.at the old park switch and now I get it, the plastic plunger affects the switch, will do some checks tomorow, i should be able to take the switch off and operate by hand.

If this works out fine then it looks like simpler or cheaper to buy a new motor.

I reckon i should be able to renew keeping the wormed wire in situ..

Voltage at the blue wire and the red wire however when i remove the yellow wire nothing happens, is this the permanent voltage supply wire.

The old park switch was broken the plunger was ineffective

If the yellow wire is the permanent voltage supply i would have thought that as soon as i requested window wipe that the wipers would never switch off.

quick update, traced to a faulty park switch which was renewed however this did not cure the fault, when the park switch had failed prior to my ownership rather than replace the park switch..the owner decided to cut the park wires at the wiper stalk, quick repair and hey ho they work, thanks for all you replies