300 tdi waterpump noisy

Daan

Chaps, coming back from ireland, I had a noisy squice developing under the bonnet, which I thought was an alternator bearing. I checked today, and it turns out that the waterpump makes this noise, it squices when you turn it by hand. I fitted a new pump in 2009, bought from bearmach. the first one they send me was in an unbranded box (not blue!), and this squicked straight away. They replaced it for a quinton hazel one, which now squickes 4.5 years down the road. I have done about 2.5k miles with it, and it has long periods of not being used, including an engine rebuild which took 1 year .

I wasn't expecting this to go wrong, is it because of it sitting idle, or is it the OEM vs Genuine divide?

Basically, shall I buy QH or genuine?

Daan

Dunno Daan. Its your call. Not a diesel man myself, but I do know the water pump is a weak spot on the 300 TDI.

They SHOULDN'T wear out in such a short time, but, whoever made it, its YOUR engine, and if it goes you can probobaly say adios to the cylinder head at the very least if it lets the water out while being driven

Water-pumps often dislike being left unused: the rubber seal sticks to the spindle then when you use the engine again the seal surface gets lots of micro-tears where it's pulled free of the spindle. Do this a few times and the sealing-ability is compromised, then small amounts of coolant gets into the bearing and bad things happen.