Is there any adjusment in the hinges of the upper tailgate?

guyadawson

Hello again

My RR is now on it's third upper tailgate, thanks to a) rust and b) some tosser with nothing better to do on boxing day than chuck a brick through the rear window.

The first replacement came from a breakers, and went on without any problems. The latest one is a brand new alloy job, and it is putting on a fight. Aside from the upper capping, which is too big, the thing does not sit right unless I leave off one of the mounting bolts. The problem seems to be the offside hinge is out of place on the body.

So, the question is, is there any adjustment available where the hinge attaches to the body? I would really love to know before I disturb the headlining to get at the nuts.

Thanks in advance,

Guy

That was my experience with the first replacement, but the latest one seems to need the hinges slightly further apart. Since the OS hinge does look to be slighty further from the edge of the apature than the NS one, I was hoping that I could realign it. The parts manual on RRC CD shows a nut & washer where the hinge attaches to the body, and I was hoping that there may be a short slot in the cross rail, rather than a circular hole. I am asking about this on here, as I would need to strip some of the interior to gain access, and I don't want to do so if there is no adjutment to be had.

Not sure about the hinge to body aperture. I would say it is circular and fits the bolt, I don't recall a slot...... That said assuming both of mine are typical they are quite sloppy, it is only the pressure of the tailgate against the seal, or the the struts, pushing the tailgate away that stop it moving towards the car. I take it there is not enough side movement in the hinge to tailgate fixing? Mine were captive nuts, but not fixed in place so could move in all four directions (up down left right) for positioning. Maybe, remove the struts and see if it fits then work from there.

Can't help with the hinges, but with the ally framed ones DON'T close by using the handle in the middle. The frame will bow slightly & closing becomes a PITA. Press on the bottom corners instead.

Seems to be a common thing with them. Guess how I found out?

Well, I took Old Hand's advice, and checked www.rangerovertailgates.com. Turns out it the tailgate was sitting too high. Trick is to turn the striker plates over, as they are asymmetric. Having done so, all four bolts went in. It's still a little skew-whiff, but it does open and shut, even if I have to push each lower corner home.