Range Rover Classic - paint for A Pillars

Darren Roberts

Hi guys,

Noticed a couple of small bits on the A Pillar where the paint has got damaged and a couple of small rust spots are coming through. I pulled the packer out of the windscreen seal so I could pull the seal to get a better look.

I notice that there's a fair bit more rust there and I've seen a few later classics like mine (1992) have some serious rot issues here so I want to sort it before it gets too bad.

I'm thinking about pulling the screen right out (got another heated one that isn't scratched from the wiper arms like my current one), rubbing right back to bare metal the rusty parts and re-painting.

What paints would everyone suggest? Else where when I had the sills replaced I used this http://www.rust.co.uk/products/category/28117/epoxy-mastic-rust-proofing-chassis-paint/ and overpainted it with brushable enamel that I picked up from the paint main - not good with a spray gun so painted it on....

I want a half decent finish so Ideally the top coat will have to come out of a spray can.....

cheers

Darren

Flood the inside of the pillar with Waxoyl from the top, and remove the crusty bits under the seal and massage in either Waxoyl or grease.

The seal should sit back against the pillar once you've got rid of the raised crusts, thus helping to hold in your preventative.

In my experience, any form of painting over already corroded material will only lead to the remaining corrosion being able to recommence out of sight :)