D2 air spring levelling

NeilF

A couple of years ago I had to change a leaking air spring and the forum was very helpful in the process, and generated much discussion on ways of getting the spring pumped up again: the only thing missing was a suggestion to dance round the car naked by the light of a full moon. Eventually, just driving around the block did it.

Now, I'm having a similar problem without the leak. When parked on the flat, the suspension stays up for ever. However, when parking on a severe camber, the suspension will go right down to the bump stop, usually on the passenger side. When loading the back (e.g. a car full of boxes of tiles), the suspension does not compensate and will be right down. Driving slowly and carefully, it will eventually pump up.

So nothing, terminal or dramatic here, just a little irritating; any clues?

I suggest you look at the air bag on the side you didn't change. There could well be a small hole in it which is only leaking when the car is parked at odd angles.

Either park it on the slope where it deflates, or raise it up into the off-road mode and spray the air bag with a dilute mixture of dish washing liquid. Any leak will be fairly obvious.

Peter.