300tdi timing belt

tuskar

My disco TB was replaced in Jan 2009 with a belt and full pulley kit, Its done only 18km since, i think on a time basis it ought to be done now, do i need to replace pulleys again or would the spin test be good enough , or do all, Total miles on car 128km.

Thanks for any advice.

I think the mileage is a little over 70k, so 18k is very early. I can't remember the chronological age schedule, though there is one. It's worth doing for piece of mind. With only 18K, the sprockets and idler bearings should be fine so just check their condition and if undamaged and smooth leave them be.

Normally you could well expect to get 100,000 kilometers out of a timing belt, however ............. if the vehicle has been standing for days, weeks, months on end lack of use can cause the belt to degrade, as can oil leaks, best bet is to remove the timing cover and inspect it, by the way when it was last replaced did you upgrade to the flanged cogs, if not change he belt and buy a full upgrade kit.

Thanks for advice guys, I did remove timing cover and everything looks very good. When I last purchased the full kit off Padd...s 5 years back the spare parts man asked for engine number and gave me the suitable kit , so I assume I have correct cogs pulleys etc, on inspection belt has no scuffing or unusual wear pattern . It feels a bit OTT doing it , but if schedule say so its wise to do it, I will at least do belt and inspect everything else.