Squeak & clunk

Frax

Hi I have a squeak coming from my engine bay, I think it is the fan belt again. I say think as I had the same noise about a year ago and replaced the belt and tensioner pulley + alternator and the squeak was gone :i-m_so_happy:

But its back :angry2: - can the belt have worn that badly so quickly ?

I also have a clunk when I turn the steering which I have not been able to find, it has just had an MOT and passed no problem but the tester did find the clunk which he thinks is coming from the front tie bar - the one that goes from the chassis to the front axle, he thinks the bar is moving sideways on the axle bolt, no play in the bush though.

Any ideas welcome.

Frax

If there is no play in the bush you may find that either the bolt has worn, or the mounting hole has enlarged or oval-ed slightly, which can be repaired by welding a washer of the correct size onto the bracket. It should be easy enough to see the play from underneath if you get someone to rock the steering wheel gently.

Matt

Flex on the bolt is not what you want - use a washer that is a tight fit on the bolt. Washers are designed to be over-size and be a loose fit, so you are better off making your own by drilling the correct size hole through a piece of bar. That way, you can make it a little thicker too.

Si

The squeak: check the condition of the pulley/vibrational-damper on the end of the crankshaft. This is actually a 2-part thing with the halves bonded together by rubber. If the rubber softens/breaks up the outer pulley-part can tilt slightly on the inner hub and this stops the belt running 'square' on the pulley surface which causes accelerated wear/squeakage.

A good indication that this could be the problem is if you get a brief 'twitter' sound when you stop the engine.

Replacement damper/pulley assemblies are not cheap!

• 1 month later...

Well just got home after two weeks and my new crank shaft damper pully was here so first thing this morning I was out in the garage.

New pully fitted and the dreaded Budgie has gone at long last.