How do modifications affect value?

I've recently acquired a 110 Utility as a company truck, so I'm thinking about what to do with my old 90.

It's a pretty original factory v8 station wagon, but I quite fancy something a bit more open top for when the weather eventually improves.

So the question is, if I take the roof off the 90, and replace with a hood, am I risking devaluing it because it won't be so original? Or does it make no difference?- it's not concourse, but apart from a small whole in the bulkhead A pillar, it's pretty much rust free.

Cheers for the advice!

Mike

Most modifications do not affect the value. The fact that it's modified devalues it, but in general this is offset by the value of the mods. Obviously, there exceptions both ways - but it's generally the case. You are better off removing the add-on sand selling it as standard then put the bits on another vehicle.

Soft tops do seem to be the exception to that however and generally command a higher price, particularly if it looks good! I've been looking on & off for a soft top Td5 90 - and this is what I've found in looking. If anything it's cheaper to buy a 90 and add a soft top!

Si

I agree with Si, molested vehicles fetch a lesser price, in my opinion because you never know how well the "modifications" have been carried out.

I would always like to buy a standard vehicle and modify myself.

If i were you, id throw a canvas roof on, and store your hard top, so you can always swap back to original.

Not sure that converting to a soft top counts as "modified", you can reconfigure a Defender between soft top/hard top/truck cab in a day. For a basic model removing the hard top is around 10 bolts, about the same again for installing the hood sticks. The only time it gets more complicated is if you have a tarts Defender with lots of interior trim to get in the way. When I still had a vehicle that could be converted easily I regularly used to convert between soft top/open top/truck cab/hard top as weather and use dictated, often all 4 over a year.

Obviously I'm assuming you're using a genuine set of hood sticks with seat belt provision.