Best type of Jate rings please.

Mongrel

I'm looking at fitting Jate rings to the front of my Discovery 1.

I've been reading up a bit about them and seem to be finding differing opinions about whether to use forged, welded or stainless steel rings.

One post talks about the welded rings deforming and even breaking, another about forged cracking and catastrophically failing and another that was saying the stainless ones are too thin and not strong enough...

So, recommend whatever you use please people, and any pluses or minuses.

IMO Forged from a good manufacturer will be the best bet, stainless should not be used for any form of recovery work. But otherwise there is nothing wrong with welded, if done right. Personally though, Jate Rings are not the best solution for recovery anyway as it puts shear load onto the chassis and can damage it quite easily, Something bolted taking advantage of tensile strength or even shear/friction force is a much better solution.

• 2 weeks later...

I fit rated shackles between bridle & JATE rings when used, the bridle should pass through the tow rope/strap eye loop with out any metal connecting them.[my diagram below]

there are RATED soft shackles out there http://www.softshackle.com/Shopping-cart.html

the link above has 5,8,10,14 tonne rated variants, might just grab some 8tonne ones for my recovery kit.

video on youtube 'how to make one'

File0092.jpg