Gearbox rattle

Turbocharger

For the last 50,000 miles my gearbox has sounded like it's trying to eat its way out of the casing under heavy load at low revs in all gears, particularly 4th and 5th; it's best described as a rattle, similar to holding the round end of a Bic biro lightly between your fingers and spinning it with the other end. There's also a chattering sound at all speeds under no-load (ie betwen drive and overrun). This worried me when the 'box went in but if it was going to die, it would have done by now.

Tonight I took the front prop off and locked the centre diff because it's UJ time again. There's a little more backlash and 'click' as it takes up drive (as expected) but... the rattle and chatter have disappeared. I can now give full beans at 1000rpm instead of waiting till 1500rpm before planting the pedal.

Any idea what might want attention? There's plenty of oil in both boxes.

Guest diesel_jim

If you took the front prop off and the noise stopped, id think there is something wrong in the fornt axle?

does it make the noise, with both props on, and the difflock in? (so that would eliminate the difflock bits)

The rattle's definately by my leg. From the sound transmitted by the gear lever it sounds more like the main box than the t-box, actually. Good call on difflock though, I'll give it a go when I've put a UJ in the front prop.

(And anyway, it's not an ebay gearbox, it came out of a mate's racer after two seasons of competition... so it's tried and tested, yeah?)

id suspect play in the center diff, if putting difflock in 'cures' it. i have a similar issue with mine, not as loud as yours sounds like it is though. one day in a dim & distant future i may be able to replace the tbox...

John I can get an r380/LT230 at a very good price if you need one

it will be a 1.4 one though rather than the 1.2 you fitted IIRC

Tony,

I'll be needing at least the r380 part of that, in case John doesn't need it; what kind of price is a very good price?

cheers