Placement of aftermarket VDO temp sender

hi all this is one of a few posts i am going to put on today ...its defender work weekend ;) ..hub seal and swivels already in progress.

I have a Madman engine monitoring system in my 93 200tdi standard defender and been in a few months (use to have it in an old series) but till now have not had the coolant temperature connected as i want to keep the original LR coolant gauge connected AS WELL.

I thought I might be able to put a standard inline coolant pipe with sender boss in where the bypass hose is on the stat housing but theres not enough space (to keep it easy).

I thought the bypass hose would be good as it would give the true engine temp rather than in the rad top hose after the stat as this will only give true engine temp when stat is open .yes???

cant really easily get a 'T' piece into original stat sender and would then be a bit away from the coolant flow so could get cold spot.

ok does anyone know where a point on the block I can insert a VDO sender(1/8 npt..can also use adapters to suit).

Otherwise i thought get a boss put on the copper(?) pipe going along top of head to the heater...Does that always shows true engine coolant temp ???

last place i could think is if I drill & tap the thermostat hosing in the point on the picture??

any help or hints??

thanks all

Andrew

post-12769-0-47078300-1394349176_thumb.jpg

the steel pipe on side of cylinder head IIRC is the coolant return from the heater, so it won't give you a true coolant temp reading as the heat can be blown into the cab.

See I always get them two mixed up :blush: