Twisted Mainshaft in PAS box

tuko

Well I had the great fortune to twist the mainshaft off in the Defender 4 bolt PAS box that I used for the PAS conversion on my Hybrid. Now the landy is sitting in the woods 150km from home.

Diesel_90 wrote one time earlier "I've twisted two mainshafts but have never had any problems on the top of the box. Strange. I'm currently running a good second hand discovery box"

So I'm now sitting here looking around on ebay and see a large number of Disco 4 bolt boxes, is that a good choice to replace the Defender box that I was using? Also I'm of the thought that some RRC 4 bolt boxes are the same to??? Was there a difference with part numbers or were they the same?

Is it worth the hassle to replace the center mainshaft or simply replace the whole unit?

Todd.

I think the four bolt boxes are all interchangeable, certainly between rrc and disco. Defender boxes have a different drop arm but that's swappable either way.

Some four bolt boxes have an aluminium top cover, steel is preferable as the aluminium ones can crack under load.

The three, four and six bolt boxes are all interchangeable in so far as they use the same mounting bolt pattern, but the pipe locations and possibly pipe threads will be different

If I understand it correctly, the 3 bolt box is the heavy duty version but the 4 bolt is the most common. Changing the drop arm is not a problem. It just sucks that it's a holiday over in the UK today, when I want to get the ball rolling for a replacement box soonest. The Landy is still on the trail, 150km from home.

Defender and disco 4 bolt boxes are the same but you are probably better with a secondhand discovery one as it will more than likely just seen everyday road use and will of has a easier life.

I have been told a disco 2 box will also fit but they also fail and when they do they punch a gear out of the side.

The 3 bolt is refered to as 'heavy duty' in the parts manual, but from what I have heard from people who tried this, doesn't really appear to be much stronger than a 4 bolt. the disco 2 box does not fit without a lot of re-engineering and also is not very strong at all (mainshaft is thicker but the worm is made of cheese). What have you done to it for it to break?

Daan

What have you done to it for it to break?

Daan

Daan,

this past weekend I had our season opener for Småland Traxx offroad tours. We suspect that the root of the problems started at this hinder on one of our trails. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1419849881608599

Once we had all four tires back on terrafirma we continued to winch over the hinder. The problem was that the angle of the winch rope was wrong and I was forcing the right front tire against the rock step at full lock. I blew the bead on the tire, then we changed the tire there on the trail. (It was excellent training for the new comers)https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.246004468934821&type=1

Once the tire was changed we did change the rope angle and winched till I had grip enough to continue driving up the hinder.

The steering didn't go off there that day, but the next day simply driving a grassy green lane to the next offroad track. (thankfully it happened there and not on the highway)

Anyways here is a link to our FB page for more links and pictures: https://www.facebook.com/groups/179600228908579/?fref=nf

Todd.