Diff and Halfshaft Identification

jackmac

Hi all,

I have in my possession some diffs and halfshafts which I could do with some help identifying!

What we know so far is that they are 24 spline ARB locking diffs, with 4.11 ratio crownwheel and pinion (37 teeth and 9 teeth). The crownwheels are quite a bit thicker than normal. They have some numbers engraved into them which can be seen below.

The halfshafts are of unknown origin. Again 24 spline, the rears are the earlier type which take a thick drive flange. The splined section (diff end) of the rears seems a bit longer than the standard late rears we compared them against. The shafts also seem to be a bit thicker than the standard ones we have to hand, you can see in the photo the diameter does not sharply reduce after the splines as on the standard ones. The only engraving on them is a small B on the diff end of the shaft.

What we are trying to work out is:

Which version of ARB locker are they?

What manufacturer are the crownwheel and pinions? Can't find anyone who does those teeth numbers...

What manufacturer are the halfshafts?

Pics:

10325274_10100802039613349_3108504065535

10349138_10100802039623329_5883560538905

10154242_10100802039608359_6465089596378

10178103_10100802039628319_2433496792532

20140515_204131_zps8fae79ce.jpg

(unknown shaft left vs standard on the right)

Hmmm

Time for my anoraks outing !

AERBs, can't tell excatly from the puics, but, if they have a triangle of 3 screws / prob allen bolts holding the air flange in on the side of the diffs, then they are early ARB RD56s

More pics of differing angles would help :D

Gears

These are rather odd, I have seen these sort of gears before, I think these could be early "Guest" gears, can you look on the end flat of the pinion - does it have GGS on it ?

they did this sort of shaped gear, also can you post a picture of the CW&P 10 x bolts as Guest used M10x1 super fine vs 3/8 UNF so any possiblity

Shafts, hmm, unsure, Don't think Guest did them, tricky to say, again more pics might help

If they are Guest Gears then they are strong, bit noisey and prob 20-25 years old, not even sure if he is still trading : http://www.guestgearservices.co.uk/home

More piocs...

nige

Anoraks welcome :P

Yup they do indeed have those 3 bolts holding the air flange on, so that's that sorted!

We can only find one place selling gears that match those teeth numbers. http://gbrutah.com/cs_drivetrain_diff%20gearing.html#intro_to_diffgearing they seem to sell their own brand and discontinued ashcroft gears that would match the numbers.

There's no marking at all on the end of the pinion. The crownwheel is chemically blackened, and looks to have done absolutely zero miles with no wear on teeth. Certainly since they were built they have never been used as there is still engineers blue on them.

20140516_092953_zps8b597942.jpg

20140516_091750_zps08b8cecc.jpg

20140516_091723_zps9d6afb06.jpg

17mm, which I guess would make them M10 bolts.

On a slight aside, I would like to fit the rear halfshafts to my truck. I have TD5 axles, which take the shorter halfshafts with a thin drive flange. Is it possible to fit these halfshafts to my axle by just buying some thick drive flanges, or is there a bit more to it?

Hmmm

VERY VEERY few gear makers use anything other than the industry standard on LRs which is 3/8 x UNF

These will be M10 x 1.0P super fine metric, and GGS Guest gears are one of the few that did M10x1.0P

I have a set of these in the workshop, comparing your pics very similar

!

Nige

Extra rare means extra valuable, right?! :ph34r:

Any ideas on fitting the rear shafts to my TD5 axles? Asked ashcroft but didn't get a reply yet, I appreciate they are very busy and probably get hundreds of emails a day!

TD5 use short shafts, with oil seal.

Have these a raised and polished grove on them about say 6/9 inches in from Drive flange end of shaft ?

If yes they will fit, if no then they are early shafts to fit early imperial axles and won't fit, flange size is one thing, but stub axles are shorter on metric oil seal axles

Nige

• 9 months later...

Wide hub flanges have a slightly different PCD to narrow flanges, so you'd need to change the complete hub assemblies. Unless you can find some KAM flanges, these have holes drilled for both pcd's and use a spacer ring to convert to wide. Steve

Steve, so the easiest way for me to fit the old style 24 spline flanges into my new style (TD5) 24 spline axles, is to buy the KAM flanges? Wouldn't need to change my hubs or axle casings?