Nant-y-Moch to Machynlleth a link route to die for

I think you might be right as the other chap was Dennis Taylor and he ran a 109

It's funny though, the group of guys I lane with have dumped most of the bolt on stuff... Lockers are a PITA on tight twisty lanes. There's no clearance for a lift or 33's; and as most lifts lose you good flex, you just need the flippin lockers. A front or rear mounted winch is nearly always in the wrong place and why the hell do you need anything more aggressive than an MT?

What's nice with the G is the bodywork made from old battleships - tight lanes make a mess of soft ali panels; in the G it just cleans off the mud, although it sounds a bit like an iceberg down the side of the Titanic.

It's surprising just how few folk go laning anymore

I'm laning on AT's at the moment.... One chap in our group as military tyres..what they called...G90's? He's a good driver though, rarely used lo range never mind difflock. The other's are all on Coopers STT's at the most. There's just no need for special tracks, but do you think I can get that through to people.....

Its not just the terrain damage its the impression created.. the look of the vehicle and its occupants makes a big difference to the anti lane crowd.

Action man in his weekend war machine creates a different impression than a series one containing a border collie.

I'm not saying anyone shouldn't be able to drive whatever winch equipped monster they like, but standard LR product should cope with pretty much any lane that we 'should' be driving.. should meaning the lane is in a reasonable state.

Defuses a lot of situations in my experience, I do my off roading in Norway on ATV's and Snowmobiles so rarely drive uk roads today but as I was moving away from that activity I found the smaller the number of vehicles and the more standard they looked, the less hassle we got.

• Like 1

Yes that too, I don't like going out with 'challenge trucks', just because of the image conjured up the uninformed anti's. Likewise I'm not saying they shouldn't be allowed, I just don't like confrontation, caused by the uninformed anti's usually!

• Like 1

Whilst I understand and agree I now find it doesn't matter what your driving or how you look. The anti's are anti's and will give you hassle regardless. Although it does tend to depend on geography. The Lakes and the Peak District are usually terrible. Wales less so. Shropshire is bloody brilliant. Our progress is usually impeded there by people stopping to ask about the cars or take a look. Most of my group appear relatively standard other than a very professionally done trayback 90.

The jury is out on AT's and MT's for me. I'll happily bow to greater experience but I have often seen someone on AT's taking half a dozen goes at a section where I will happily trundle through first time. In my mind I'm doing far less damage. The issue is only reversed if I were to 'ragg it' through on my MT's and I guess some newbies may well drive that way. For me it helps someone with moderate experience get further with less power and so less damage.

I think it depends on so many variables. MT's are easier and therefore less likely to cause damage in the hands of someone with a bit of common sense. AT's do less damage when you cock up... Added to which a lot of the new generation AT's are as good as many of the new generation MT's

The anti's are actually a very small minority - but they are a minority with a lot of drive, passion and organisational skill AND it's easy to make off roaders look bad - we leave ourselves open to it