Indicator canceling immediately

Hi,

The indicator on my 96 90 is playing up. Noticed it since i bought it 3 weeks ago and its fine turning left. But turning right, as soon as the wheel is turned even very slightly its canceled immediatley. Infact i barely can indicate right!

Not sure it this is also MOT fail issue. But regardless its quite annoying.

Do i require a new stalk? Or is it something else?

Cheers

sounds like the cancel ring on the steering wheel & it's counterpart on the main stalk switch assembly is incorrectly set,

you need to remove the steering wheel & check the [normally blue plastic] ring on the switch assembly, it should have a moulded arrow head on it which should point to the left [9 o'clock position] with the 2 slots at 12 & 6 o'clock.

Didn't you move the steering wheel??.......

Me thinks that's where your issue is.....

Thanks. And yeah i did adjust the steering wheel but it was like it when i bought it (without me messing with the steering wheel).

Cheers too western

sounds like the cancel ring on the steering wheel & it's counterpart on the main stalk switch assembly is incorrectly set,

you need to remove the steering wheel & check the [normally blue plastic] ring on the switch assembly, it should have a moulded arrow head on it which should point to the left [9 o'clock position] with the 2 slots at 12 & 6 o'clock.

Just checked this, and its already fitted exactly how you say it is.

If thats okay, does it mean its the stalk thats the issue?

Check that the clamping ring holding the stalks to the Column is not broken.

Mo

Thanks Mo will do, applying the indicator left is fine. Applying right is abit like the spring has gone (figure of speech) and it wont hold itself up

Yes, if the clamp is broken, mine is at the blocks where the screw/nut is, the switch will move slightly when it's operated, on the column end is a notch which the switch unit should sit in to stop it moving big amounts.

• 6 years later...

I had the same issue when turning right after installing a brand new indicator stalk unit.

Found the issue to be the rubber cover on the stalk had just enough resistance in it to prevent the stalk latching quite fully when turning right. Hence the stalk would kick back into its centre position.

I  just fiddled with the rubber grommet cover till it offered less resistance to the stalk and now it's working correctly.