Diesel / ZF questions......

Baeau

Greeting to all.........

One of the cohorts over here (California) has a bit of a dilema. The current rig is a mid 90's D1 fitted with an Isuzu diesel. That connected to the V8 / Efi spec ZF. Aside from trying Ashcroft, any suggestions to locate the correct ZF valve body (for the diesel). Or, reputable breakers in the UK that may have some ZF's which were removed from diesel Rovers?

Trivia here. California has "wonderful" laws regarding the do's & don'ts of vehicle mods. Normally, not an issue. However, the State will not allow a gas vehicle to be converted to diesel. It polices that through the every other year emissions inspection. Meaning, we have litttle diesel knowledge. Now, said cohort, finds himself with two Rovers, California titled as diesel fueled. We don't want to know why, just want to get them to be proper drivers.

Any thoughts, comments & criticism will be appreciated.

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Greeting to all.........

One of the cohorts over here (California) has a bit of a dilema. The current rig is a mid 90's D1 fitted with an Isuzu diesel. That connected to the V8 / Efi spec ZF. Aside from trying Ashcroft, any suggestions to locate the correct ZF valve body (for the diesel). Or, reputable breakers in the UK that may have some ZF's which were removed from diesel Rovers?

Any thoughts, comments & criticism will be appreciated.

Cheers!

Hi all, my first post on this forum.

I am no expert on ZF Auto boxes but have fitted diesel lumps on two such ZFs recently, one in a D1. I did not change any valve bodies etc, but played with the adjustment of the kick-down cable until I was happy with the response of the gearbox.

The diesel lumps have a lot more torque at low rpm compared to the V8s and the gear change then often occurs sooner. I drive around town often not exceeding 1500rpm. I get 4th gear lock-up at 80kph.

You do not mention what the unwanted behaviour of the gearbox is, which you want to rectify. Please give more detail.