Defender won't start need help ASAP!

I've been away for a week and come home to my defender 90 200tdi today and the thing won't start it is giving a clicking sound from the engine bay almost like a flat battery would (don't worry I've swapped batteries over with dad's defender and battery isn't the issue) I've then smacked the **** out of the starter motor to see if that was stuck but no luck. I then swapped the starter (tiddle take of a job) with one from the old 200tdi that came out when I got the car but this didn't work either but again that could too be stuck so it's currently sat on my drive way in a sorry state and I'm confused as to what it may be I really want to avoid taking it to a garage but feel I may have to with this one! Any help would be great! Thanks!

Also when removing the old starter I got slightly confused with the wiring it's currently got the fat live from the battery on a stud alone with two other ring crimped red or dark cables and a striped one that was from the same loom on a little tab crimp thingy next to the stud is this correct? I'm pretty sure that's the way it came off but I'm starting to doubt myself now!

That sounds correct. With the starter you have removed, have you tried it directly off the battery? That is initially put a negative onto the case and put a large positive onto the stud) I use jump cables normally! Then jump from the stud to the little tag - see if that has any effect. If that just clicks, then it's probably a dirty heavy current contact.

To prove it's the solenoid (that's what the tag is connected to), look around the area of the stud, there should be a second one in the same vicinity. Whilst holding the starter motor (or certainly make sure it cannot twist) with the negative still attached to the starter motor case, carefully apply the heavy positive to the other stud. That should turn the motor (there is a lot of torque there so be prepared for it). If that works, it's your solenoid (or an earthing issue).

Cheers

Peter

you can do a simple test for an earth problem if you've got a jump lead - put one end on battery earth and the other on the engine block and see if it starts.

if it does you need to check clean and tighten your earth points.

That sounds correct. With the starter you have removed, have you tried it directly off the battery? That is initially put a negative onto the case and put a large positive onto the stud) I use jump cables normally! Then jump from the stud to the little tag - see if that has any effect. If that just clicks, then it's probably a dirty heavy current contact.

To prove it's the solenoid (that's what the tag is connected to), look around the area of the stud, there should be a second one in the same vicinity. Whilst holding the starter motor (or certainly make sure it cannot twist) with the negative still attached to the starter motor case, carefully apply the heavy positive to the other stud. That should turn the motor (there is a lot of torque there so be prepared for it). If that works, it's your solenoid (or an earthing issue).

Cheers

Peter

Will try this tomorrow morning and get back on here with the results! If it proves to be a solenoid what solenoid would this be and where is it located?

Strange-ish two starters are not working, I'd be inclined to attach a cable to battery positive and touch the other end on the solenoid terminal to see if that works - if not then looks like duff starter

Just did and the starter lifter and spun like it wanted to start so I don't think it's the starter I'm so confused

swap the start relay behind fuse box metal panel with one of the other relays, they are all the same rating & pin layout.

How do I get behind the metal panel?

How do I get behind the metal panel?

post-69118-0-07062900-1401443188_thumb.jpg