Disc brake rear conversion

Hi All,

I am currently able to get hold of either a TD5 discovery axle casing or a discovery 1 200tdi casing. I want to change the drums on my 1986 defender for discs and was wondering which of these axle casing will let me do that. Can I just swap the internals over and maybe new hubs and calipers etc. will just different axle casings be enough? Couldn't find a definitive answer online yet. Thanks

Looking a bit further, would it be possible to use one of the casings mentioned, fit parts from my current rear axle and then replace others with parts listed below:

• 90 Rear Calipers and Discs
  • 300Tdi stub axles
  • 300Tdi hubs
  • heavy duty terrafirma drive flanges
  • 300Tdi half-shafts. ?
  • The caliper brackets

Another thought is that as i will eventually when money and time permits be doing an engine swap, so perhaps uprating the brakes now isn't a bad idea, and for that i suppose 110 calipers front and rear with vented front rotors and 110 rear rotors. don't know if I'll need to change the master cylinder or not.

any thoughts would be great.

If you fit either of the above complete axles then you will have disc brakes, a suprisingly easy job if you've got 2 people doing it an some axles stands to hold the chassis up.

You need to undo the A frame Ball joint, Trailing arms, Lower shock mount, prop shaft and a brake pipe and out it'll come.

I understand that the complete axles themselves would swap easily yet may also be different regarding PCD etc however it is only the axle casings that i can get a hold of. I was thinking that i could take the axle casing from a 300tdi disco 1, fit it with my diff from my current axle. add the correct hubs, stub axles, flanges, calipers, rotors etc and then fit it.

Reason for buying casing only is i can get it for £40.

After more thought i will fit new 90 calipers all round, 2 pot rear, 4 pot front (standard) with vented front brakes.

Will i be needing a beefier master cylinder to deal with newer brakes?

I understand that fitting a complete axle is easier but seeing as I can get a 300tdi casing and I can supply the parts for little money the actual fitting is also not a problem. Just simply wondering regards to compatability. Does the 300tdi disco case have the caliper mounts that I need to fit defender 90 rear calipers

I have bought axle casings for between £5 and £10, I would suggest shopping round before paying £40 for a bare casing!

Only about £80 to buy an entire disk braked axle ready to go the last time I asked around