300tdi pump swap and wiring simplification... Help needed

J3mym

Hi guys currently running a space framed landrover produced in kit form by tornado motorsport, it was built from a 300tdi auto disco, the chap that put it together fitted the full discovery loom but theres so much stuff not being used and im having a few electrical issues.. Im happy with the 300 auto but im wanting to change the electronic pump to a manual pump, i have a full doner car to use, as far as im aware its the pump, injectors, and fuel lines need changing, can anybody guide me if theres anything else i should swap?

Also while the cars in bits im wanting to simplify the loom, i can cut alot of the obvious out but i notice nearly everything runs through the green box behind the dash, can this be got rid of, same with the cruise control etc, i cant seem to find many online guides to simplify, i have no heaters, radio, electric windows or mirrors etc, litterally the dash instrument pannel and engine along with external lights...

Cheers jamie

What pump ????? and yes the MFU (Multi Function Unit, or Multi F*****d Unit) can be removed, I did it in my Disco series 1 when I totally re-wired it but its a lot of work, it took me 3 weeks to run all the wiring but if you have a stripped down unit it shouldnt be too dificult, the only function I lost with the removal of the MFU was the delayed wiper speeds.

You need the bits you have listed. You can take a ignition feed off the plug that connected to the old injector pump or run a ignition feed from the switch. The only thing to be aware of if you go down the ignition feed option is to make sure you take a feed off the always on ignition wire as one switches off all power to everything else when all power is sent to the starter.

Hope that helps,

Hugh

There is so little of the original loom actually required to run vehicle that i would be looking at some of the US hotrod generic looms, usually around $150 for a basic loom.

I assume you are talking about the EDC TDI so once you go mechanical injection you only need 1 wire to the injector solenoid for the engine to run.

You don't need to change the injectors when you change the pump. The only one that is different is the one with the wire to it but it will operate happily disconnected. However, if it's good, it would be worth swapping it for a standard one and selling yours, they are getting rare and it could help someone out who wants to keep the edc. Honestly though, if you can sort the issues you're having with the edc, it's worth keeping, the power is much better, a manual pump on an auto is a bit sluggish.