Sunroof woes

Simon_CSK

I have been trying to sort the sunroof on my Disco 2 to stop the leak.

I took both sunroofs out completely and resealed them on to the metal and I took off the broken tubes, cast them in liquid plastic so that there was a square base before using araldite to bond them back to the plastic in the frame. Then once securely fixed I sealed them all around with glass fibre before covering them completely with silicone.

Once the sunroof was back on the car I ran it for a week without any leaks. I did notice a leak on the windscreen that was not significant today so I sealed along the top with silicone before I put the head cloth back on the car.

Today there was torrents and when I went out to the car the head cloth was soaking and there was water on the dash. I am sure that the sunroof is sealed around the frame and the drip trays are working properly the only thing I can think is causing the problem is either the quantity of the rain was excessive and caused the trays to overflow or the seal on the roof has failed around the glass. Is there anything else I could have missed?

How was the vehicle parked?
On the Flat
Up hill
Down hill
leaning to one side

So the first problem is that the sunroofs are not designed to leak, the drip tray is there to catch standing water that is dislodged when the sunroof is opened.
So there must be a problem with the some seals
Roof to frame or frame to glass or the bolts through the glass.

But when it does leak there are some holes in the drip tray that mean if not parked flat then it can run out of these instead of heading to the drain tubes. (I did put mastic dams around most of these)

There is another possible source of a leak, this is the roof bar mounting holes.

When I resealed my I had no leaks even under the hose pipe.
Suggest you take the head lining down again and use a hose pipe to find the source of the leak (you can carefully direct the water to detect where it is leaking)

I changed the rubber seal. Also check how much the glass is being pulled down onto the rubber when closed - mine wasn't being pulled down enough. I stripped the winding mechanism and changed the 'timing' between the mechanism and the indexing pin that engages once every revolution of the winder. I can now closed/pull down the glass more. Leaks fixed

How was the vehicle parked?

On the Flat

Up hill

Down hill

leaning to one side

There is another possible source of a leak, this is the roof bar mounting holes.

When I resealed my I had no leaks even under the hose pipe.

Suggest you take the head lining down again and use a hose pipe to find the source of the leak (you can carefully direct the water to detect where it is leaking)

Was parked slightly now down.

Never thought about the roof bar so worth considering
Tried the hose after the sunroof was taken out and reseated and everything was fine. Ran around for a week without an issue.

are we talking about the same manufacturer here?

i think that one of LR's design constraints is that it has to leak!

Very true but I still hate having a lap full of water.

I changed the rubber seal. Also check how much the glass is being pulled down onto the rubber when closed - mine wasn't being pulled down enough. I stripped the winding mechanism and changed the 'timing' between the mechanism and the indexing pin that engages once every revolution of the winder. I can now closed/pull down the glass more. Leaks fixed

I will change the rubber seal shortly and see if that cures it.