Whats this pipe 200tdi

Hi guys ok I'm no motor engineer a Defender 200 tdi engine from the round air box you have the big corrugated air pipe to the turbo but all so off that air box is a much finer black pipe that's covered in what looks like white cotton mesh....from the air box round to the other side of the engine to a black plastic cylinder ......Basically to describe that pipe to some one on the phone what does it do ? what would you call it ???

Thanks there

post-10229-0-95534100-1407176204_thumb.jpg

That's the pipe from the crankcase-breather to the air-cleaner. It passes combustion-gases that have leaked past the piston-rings etc. back into the air-cleaner so they're burned by the engine.

[if the engine's significantly worn and you get bad levels of piston blow-by that pipe can also cause oil-mist from the crankcase to be fed into the intake - at which point the engine starts burning its own lubricating-oil rather than Diesel - and you get a runaway]

Ok thanks there so what is the purpose of the mesh ??

I'm just having all my pipes that can be done made in silicone.....so far water pipes ok and on the way, brake servo pipe ok, heater matrix pipes ok. ....Would be good to get that one done as well

Ok thanks there so what is the purpose of the mesh ??

I'm just having all my pipes that can be done made in silicone.....so far water pipes ok and on the way, brake servo pipe ok, heater matrix pipes ok. ....Would be good to get that one done as well

The webbing mesh is just there as protection against chafing: there's a lot of vibration from Diesel engines and without protection the rubber pipe can easily wear through where it rests on things.

Silicone pipes are OK but they can still suffer with 'fretting' wear when they touch things.

This pipe is starting to wear through on my 200Tdi, the ends are frayed, and the oil residue is starting to come through as the rubber has perished. I can see why it may be attractive to replace it with silicone. But I'm just going to replace it with another standard one I think, this one has done 22 years and 200,000+ miles so not too bad to be honest. The standard item also has the correct bends/shape in it too so looks factory.

Nice clean engine bay in your car though!

Oh yes this guy is good does exact copies of the pipes ..so no curves with joiners etc just a nice exact copy .....if yours has just started leaking after 22 years and 200,000 miles I will get a silicone one ...even if it lasts 10 years ......Or may see if he can silicone over a new standard pipe just so it matches the rest