Warn 8274 rebuild questions

Ben Spray

Hi All

Just rebuilding my Warn 8274, which I pulled apart and sent for powder coating about 2 years ago and after a bit of an issue with the coating place chucked under the workbench until I could face sorting it, ie now....

Can anyone tell me how tight a fit the bronze bushing for the mainshaft should be in the bottom case? and whether there should be any play at all between bushing and mainshaft? (guessing not!)

I seem to remember having to use a bit of force to remove it from the case, but since my case has been powder coated (and some of these surfaces blasted slightly due to poor masking!) it seems to how go in and spin in the hole with light pressure - loctite bearing retainer or new bushing or worse?

One of the other issues with the coating was that they blasted the end of the drum that runs in the bushing in the end plate (ie opposite the main housing), if I clean this up a bit and keep it greased is it likely to be ok or is it just going to eat bushings and cause me more hassle!?

Lastly anyone got a source for the correct nuts and bolts needed to put it all back together? or ideas on changing to metric where possible?

Cheers all

Ben

Those bushes are never a terribly tight fit, however they shirk don't flop about. If in any doubt fit a new one.

I'd polish up the end of the drum as it'll help it last longer.

You can buy stainless fasteners the correct sizes from ebay.

I use the standard imperial ones where they tap into the casings, but the nuts and bolts that hold the top housing in I use M8.

Jon

Cheers Jon

Just found the bag of old fittings so I can measure up for replacements ;)

Will clean the drum up and see how it goes, will be paying a visit to someone like gigglepin at Peterborough in a few weeks I think for a bushing etc and the circlip that I seem to have lost.

Thoughts on using metric to secure it to the bumper?

Cheers

Ben

The screw sizes are all listed on warns parts diagram quite conveniently :-)

Gigglepin are good. Do not under any circumstances buy anything from Wrex racing (long story that involved having to get my money back from Visa). Alternately look at buying spares from amazon.com in the USA. I found it substantially cheaper to buy spares this way even with the postage, and they were through my door in about 4 days,

yes - I use m12s to fix to the bumper.

Jon

Hi guys I am in the process of rebuilding my 8274 and have spent a greater part of today trying to reassemble the brake after adding a Gigglepin main shaft. I have had a devil of a job getting the brake together without the ball bearings moving but finally have it all buttoned up. It appears all good however I can here a slight bearing rattle when I shake the assembly is this normal or is it likely one of the ball bearings has somehow moved to where it shouldn't be?

Hi Jackmac after about the sixth attempt without grease I gave in and used a minimal amount to hold them in position again after about another five attempts I got it to go together and bolted it up. However as it has taken me a couple of weeks to disassemble the winch, it is a 1984 one and appears to have never been serviced , I couldn't remember if the break assembly had a rattle or not and it was so corroded it probably didn't.

Graham

• 2 weeks later...

After another chat with Ben at Gigglepin I am happy with the rattle so bottom of winch all buttoned up.

Now the top housing rebuild is turning into a mission so looks like another week until all is finished. The snap ring that secures the roller bearing into the gear is so old it appears to be fused to the gear. Have tried using a pick set,junior hacksaw punches and a few swear words. Also soaked it in WD40 for 48 hours. Ben is coming to the rescue once again and is looking for a second hand one to tie me over until I decide which twin motor set up to go for adventure series or pro series and have saved up some pocket money for it.