Is it worth breaking a 300 Disco?

Mudmonkey

Morning all,

I'm currently in the process of buying a Puma 90, the only downside to this is that my disco will be made redundant and is taking up the space needed in the garage for the new Defender.

Was just wondering if it is worth breaking or am I likely to get a poor return for all that work?

I'd probably be wanting to keep engine, box, axles etc but is the body just best to be weighed in or am I likely to get any interest in certain bits? There's so many doors, bonnets, bits of trim, glass etc on ebay it makes me think it's not even worth the time listing it!

Regards,

Tom

I have found that there is so many mum pets pay and play daying discoverys you can always sell the front wings. The inner door mechanisms and window mechanisms. Very very rare does anybody want much else from the inside.

If you can be bothered with it, there is a large export market which pays very well for engines.

Alarm and window modules sell ok, rear lamp units annd also the rear corner panels. Good centre consoles and window switch panels too.

Doors can sell if they're mint, but not for much. Also bumpers are ok if they're in good nick.

If it's still got a land rover cat on the exhaust that's good for £80, and if you can be arsed, the wiring loom can be weighed in and has a decent weight.

I've sold a few manual sunroofs as well - thay are easy to fit into other cars, sold a few to guys with VW campers etc.

I've never had any luck shifting seats/trim/glass, dash parts etc so just weigh most of the body in now.

When you use the term "weigh in"... where do you do it? I'm in the process of making one good (ish) Disco out of two, then I plan to dispose of the 'donor' one. Who would you approach? Local scrap merchant? I understand they can't pay money for cars nowadays?

When you use the term "weigh in"... where do you do it? I'm in the process of making one good (ish) Disco out of two, then I plan to dispose of the 'donor' one. Who would you approach? Local scrap merchant? I understand they can't pay money for cars nowadays?

They can’t pay cash…my local place will still take scrap cars on their weighbridge, but you must have an account (no issue, just bring your driving licence) and you must bring along the V5 which they’ll stamp and you send off your bit. They’ll then print off a cheque (remember those?). Last time I did it, it was about £80/tonne for scrap cars, pure scrap metal is more like £110/tonne.

If you can bothered, as has been stated, extract the cat and the wiring loom if you’re feeling ambitious. That’ll get you separate £££

Matt

Thanks for the input guys, as I said I'll probably keep the more "desirable" items, the engine has had a recent head rebuild and the auto and transfer boxes are good. So might as well keep them as a project is bound to pop up in the future, as well as the axles for spares.

Keep the seats for some workshop furniture! :)

Think my best bet is to get a couple of picture, post them up in the for sale section and give people a chance to have anything off it they want then scrap the rest. Ebay can be such a pain when selling!