easiest way to remove engine and gearbox

OilIT

Hi

I have just bought a 1990 200tdi disco which i want to take the engine, gearbox, and axles off for a project I am about to embark upon :huh: i had a quick browse thru the tech forum but didnt find anything about removal of such stuff (sorry been playing defenders for the last year or so !)

What is the easiest and fastest way to get the engine and box out? ie as one lump thru the bottom after axle removed, or do I have to seperate to do this? OR, do i have no choice but to take it out through the top?

Any guidance is really appreciated :D

Thanks

OilIT

If the shell is scrap......

Cut out the panel where the bonnet catch is, between the headlamps, and let the front tyres down, and it can be easily lifted out as one.

I can do it by myself, albeit with V8's rather than TDI's - okay with an engine crane.

Wouldn't fancy my chances without cutting the panel or a monster engine hoist.

you can un bolt the gearbox crossmember. all the engine and gearbox mounts and take it out the bottom.

Did you buy it from the trade it?

GR8, sounds like its doeable from underneath then after axle removal (thanks!)

No I bought it privately - why do you ask?

i was on my way to look at/buy a 200 tdi disco today for £500 and the bloke sold i before i got there :angry:

Thats the trade-it for you!

ah....that might have been me then - (I have just re-read your post and I thought you asked if I bought it from the trade (!) but I see now you asked if it was trade it - and yes it was).....in which case I apologise... sorry.... :(

ps. leave it in the chassis and do a 100" like mine!

my project!

Wow, that looks like great fun - I like your engine/body hoist - looks a lot stronger than the machine mart ones i was looking at a few months ago :D

I will possibly be selling the box - so if yr interested pm me and i will let you know.

If you drop the engine/gearbox on the ground, you then have to lift the vehicle off of the engine to get it out from underneath. No problem with the gearbox, but the engine is too tall. I would lower it to the ground, remove the gearbox from underneath, then lift the engine out with a hoist through the engine bay. Once the radiator/intercooler is out of the way - there's loads of room.

If you're goint to put the engine in another vehicle - don't cut any wires or pipes. You'll need some of them to do the conversion.

Les. :)

If you drop the engine/gearbox on the ground, you then have to lift the vehicle off of the engine to get it out from underneath. No problem with the gearbox, but the engine is too tall. I would lower it to the ground, remove the gearbox from underneath, then lift the engine out with a hoist through the engine bay. Once the radiator/intercooler is out of the way - there's loads of room.

If you're goint to put the engine in another vehicle - don't cut any wires or pipes. You'll need some of them to do the conversion.

Les. :)

Thanks Les,

Need to find a loving home for the rest then !!