Deciphering Model Designation

Shackleton

Trying to figure out whether my D2 is a specific model or just a base model that the original owner spec'd up. Is there a way, a number on a plate?

I've been on the factory option page on D...2.co.uk but I have to mix and match to get the full picture. It's also Australian which I suppose is why it doesnt have heated mirrors.

Cool, thanks. That give me a list of very basic information - build date, wheel base, transmission type etc. No model variant other than Discovery II. Has anyone put their VIN in there got an "E", "S", "ES", "GS" etc designation? I just feel mine has too many options to be a base model.

With Land Rover, anything is possible!!! Do remember that you could buy a base model and have any one of the premium ES features fitted as options, not sure if there would have been a completed build sheet for your car? worth finding out at Gaydon?

What's Gaydon?

My first instinct was that it'd be a base model, spec'd up. But there are 10 items, maybe 11, that a standard car wouldn't have. I just thought that was a lot for it not to be a specific model and wondered was there an easy way to figure it out.

I've cross referenced the options page at discovery2.co.uk but can't be sure it's any one or another. It's not a big deal, I'm just doing the proud owner thing.

It's an Australian 5dr Td5 Auto, cloth interior.

According to Discovery2.co.uk the following items on my car aren't standard fitment:

Cruise control

Factory spots on light bar (but no fogs)

Roof bars w/cross bars

Dual climate control

Lumbar support

CD multi changer

Headlight washers

ACE

SAT Nav

Passenger airbag

It had a snorkel before I got it, by the lack of evidence of that I'd say it was professionally fitted, but it was gone when I bought the car so I can't be sure if it was factory or not.

Also I can't be sure if the bumper was originally body coloured or not, the one that was on it had been cut down for better approach, and had been DIY painted. But I've a feeling it was a non body coloured unit.

It was obviously intended for work or the outback as it's a no nonsense kind of spec. It has HD suspension and long range tanks too, but that's obviously nothing to do with the factory.

They did have factory build sheets. Mine came with the car when I bought it, and I passed it on when I sold it.

Gaydon is a small village in Warwickshire where there is a disused airfield owned by LandRover (Jag-LR now). They have a development and test facility there.

However, more relevant, is that there is a museum there as well. The museum used to be just Rover/LandRover at one point but is now broader. It holds the archives for the British Motor Industry, and you can apply for details about your vehicle from the factory log. .http://www.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk/store/