300tdi cylinder head oil leak suspect gasket

When I got my defender in July I new it had some oil leaks so planned to work through seals gaskets etc

However I have now got to stage of getting the head clean sump clean and most of the block clean but Still got oil leak.

Today got last bits of my engine cleaned and drove to work then checked for signs of oil.

To my dsmay it seems the oil is coming from the seal between head and block. Last thing I exppected was cylinder head gasket gone. The engine seems to run fine plenty of power.

Is this a common problem is it likely to be just a gasket change or is it likely to need a skim ?

No experience with this engine so don't know what to expect?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Its not uncommon for either tdi to blow a headgasket, at the same time its not very often a sign of major problems with the engine, remember the youngest TDI's are 15 years old now. The head will need skimming if its more than iirc 3tho out of flat. Head gasket changes are relatively easy, the hardest bit is undoing the exhaust manifold stud under the turbo, a stubby spanner is handy, so is a cold beer after you've undone it! Power problems and fluid use is totally dependent on where the gasket blows, if you've got a blow between an oil way and the outside world, you'll get your problem and no other symptoms.

As for doing the job, put aside a day for a first go if your handy with a spanner, its a big help to have an assistant handy for torquing the head bolts down. I think it took me and EJP a lazy afternoon to do a disco 300 head gasket swap during the summer. you'll need simple tools with a biiiig breaker bar and an angle tightening gauge and also some feeler gauges to set the tappets.

you'll need the headgasket, manifold gasket, new rocker seal just for the sake of it and antifreeze if you spill the coolant when you drain it.

Just checked valve clearances and replaced the rocker cover gasket eliminating rocker cover as source of leak . Also cleaned cylinder head at this point then started working down the engine as it was a mess not done in years.

Previously done oil change sump and plug seal and filter eliminating obvious plus oil cooler pipes cyclone and pipes all thas left is head !

Cleaned head again started engine and squirted wd40 at suspect area of cylinder head and spotted all bubble. Could be leaking else where to.

At least I now know the problem. Thanks for feedback about heads being the same going to buy the one I have seen I can use my rods and rocker will be straight swap.