Rovers contribution to the war effort ?

bill van snorkle

The S1 is in "Ice Cold in Alex" as I recall. They hand crank it backwards up a sand dune, no?

The pink submarine was "Operation Petticoat" with Tony Curtis.

The Sikorsky S-47 was delivered to the US Army Air Corps in May 1942, so its appearance in a WWII film, while historically inaccurate (they flew no missions until late 1944 / early 1945 and those were in the Continental US) is not entirely implausible.

According to Wikipedia:

The first fully controllable helicopter (as opposed to autogyro) was the Focke-Wulf Fw 61, demonstrated by Hanna Reitsch in 1936 in Berlin, Germany. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focke-Wulf_Fw_61 ) so it is likely that there were German military helicopters during WWII - especially given Hitler's love of 'wonder weapons'.

On the tank front, my old man had some good words for several of the English tanks (Churchill - "slow but tough", Cromwell - with the govenors removed = "so fast nobody could hit it") but was in absolute awe of the later German ones. Having said that, he was always a fan of "light but fast" as being (in his opinion) safer than heavily armoured and slow, but then he would be since his favourite vehicle of the war was the Daimler Scout Car. If I remember rightly, the Scout Car had a preselector box and an additional rearward facing steering wheel (for use by the commander) and when 'bumped' (fired upon) could be reversing at speed within seconds - a feature that saved his life on several occasions - and hence is the cause of me being here to bore you with this :D

Rog

The S1 is in "Ice Cold in Alex" as I recall. They hand crank it backwards up a sand dune, no?

It wasn't a LandRover but it was another one of those movie studio gaffs. But this time you would have to be a sad military four wheel drive vehicle train spotter to pick it up.

I think that was a hybrid built from WW2 Austin K2 Ambulance body and post war Austin K9 four wheel drive chassis. As far as I can tell no 4 wheel drive Austins were built as ambulances during the war period.

Perhaps Honitonhobbit's for employers cobbled that one together.

Bill.

Can't remember the names of the films. The one with landy in was about a daring mission undertaken by fighter-bombers deep into enemy territory.

I think this might refer to several sightings of S1s in 633 Squadron, a movie about Mosquito fighter bombers attacking a German rocket fuel plant in a Norwegian fiord.

Bill, A meteor was basically a Merlin with the superchargers for high altitude ops removed & some of the alloy components replaced by steel. Later in WW2 it powered the Cromwell & Comet tanks, the Comet was the last of the British cruiser tanks with a good gun based on the 17 pounder anti tank gun, decent Armour, other than its hull bottom & a good cross country performance. It was generally thought of as being a match for all but the Tiger tanks.

Some info from Wikipedia with some links to the various tanks it ran in meteor

"Scuse me while I slip out of my anorak :D:D

Steve.

As the Ice Cold In Alex S1 often cropped up on various forums in the past that I grabbed this screen capture last year and now keep it permanently on my photobucket account....

ICIA.jpg

The above appears at the end of the film as the spy is driven off after downing a glass or two of probably the finest gnats widdle in the world.

Some while back I used to work for a company called 'Wheels Unlimited', one of our jobs was supplying a company called 'Pinewood Studios' with "KIT"

I can honestly say that the Meteor engine is the biggest pile of sh*t ever built. It is a pig of an engine, fitted to some of the best tanks ever built.

The truth of it is we were damn lucky not to be speaking German as a mother tongue - I have a feeling that Rover were in the pay of the 3rd Rieche...

Well at least that Meteor engine would run with a couple of legs outa bed ???

All it was was an unsupercharged Merlin.

mike

I can cause trouble in an empty house !!!

As the Ice Cold In Alex S1 often cropped up on various forums in the past that I grabbed this screen capture last year and now keep it permanently on my photobucket account....

ICIA.jpg

The above appears at the end of the film as the spy is driven off after downing a glass or two of probably the finest gnats widdle in the world.

I must have missed the series 1 both timesI watched that film. The truck I was refering to as being an Austin K2 was the one they wound over a sand dune in reverse using the crank handle.

Bill

ICIA.jpg

OK, it's anorak time... (Gosh this is a risk on such a knowledgeable forum - hope I don't get shot down for my lack of accuracy) but isn't that a Series 1A ? I think that the seies 1 (80" not 86") had 5" headlights behind the grill didn't it? ;) Nice picture though, and (IMHO) a great film for all the gaffs...

Rog