Td5 water temp

My 54 plate 110 td5 seems to have developed a fault with the coolant system,

She seems to be unable to get up to operating temp and the water gauge would fluctuate if you accelerated or de accelerated. If got to the bottom of the gauge fluctuating by running a new earth from the ecu and post directly to the - on the battery.

If replaced both the sender and fitted another new thermostat but to no avail, the nanocom says the coolant is at aprox 60-65, even going for a long drive it gets no higher and the heater off and the gauge reads around the 10-11 mark and not in the middle where it used to sit.

I was going to order a new vdo sender and fit a vdo temp gauge but unsure if the ecu relies on the coolant temp for the fueling? Or does anyone have any more ideas on the possible problem?

I can highly recommend a VDO temp gauge for piece of mind.....of most use with conversions where there may be mismatched gauge and senders, but even now when I'm happy that what I've got is behaving, I still like to keep an eye on the VDO.

Did you confirm stat function in boiling water?

Have you checked yourself that the hoses are at temperature? Infra red themometer is good.

There abouts...my Haynes manual says 88 for the 300...82 for the 200 but I thought it was 88...my SIII with 200 sits about 90 on the VDO normally

thermostats for 200 & 300Tdi are 88 degree, but they engine will operate at a higher temperature.

TD5 thermostats are a 3-pipe-plastic-lump that sits in the bottom hose - you can't see the working-bits to do the usual put-it-in-a-pan-of-boiling-water test.

Given the time/hassle/grazed-knuckles effects of removing it and refitting it (and loss of expensive 50%-mix red-coolant in the process) if you suspect the thermotwat it's far easier to just fit a new one.

On my 90TD5 if I sit in traffic with the heater fan on full, after a few minutes the temperature-gauge drops back from 1/3-across-the-clear-sector to the blue-sector. Cruising quietly at 70MPH with the heater/fan on full the gauge sits at about 1/3 across the clear sector of the gauge. If I nail it at 70MPH in 3rd all the way up Birdlip Hill with the big flatbed on the back in summer I can just get the gauge-needle to go vertical!

Well tonight I was using my defender and did a good 10 miles with a outside temp of 2-3c, the needle was a width outside the blue. Nanocom was saying about 63, weather is still to poor to whip out the sender and test in boiling water to see what temp its reading. So I used an infrared temp gauge and the engine block is at 82c, top of the radiator is 74 and the return at the lower is 20.

Am I correct in thinking that it's looking like a wiring issues or another faulty sender?

Does anyone have a td5 wiring diagram showing what pins on the ecu are from the sensor? Also is the sensor using the engine as negative? Not the other connection on the sender? Ie one running temp and one overheat?

Update for anyone else what similar problem.

Well today I checked another new replacement sender, it appears that the new one I fitted last week was faulty and reading 15c colder than it actually. The sender was a bearmach unit, sourced a genuine sender and fitted that and cross checks the temperature with the new one.

Took it for a drive and the gauge is reading where it used to be.

I cured the gauge fluctuating by running a new earth from the ecu to the battery, which highlited that they were still an issue somewhere and that changing the thermostat wasn't infact required.