Diagnostic Sortware / Readers

stuck

Hi all,

I think my Mrs has finally made her mind up on what the next car is going to be, in all probability a TDV8 L322.

This will be the first LR product I've had since removing the Td5 from my defender with the ability to carry out diagnostics, in anticipation of this I'd appreciate knowing what software / readers people are using to read & reset fault codes?

By far the most common problem I see on L322's is worn out EAS compressors,for this I use an old Snap On Modis to read the codes.Then after fitting a new AMK compressor I use SDD to reflash the ride level module with software to suit.

SDD is the official dealer tool which runs off a laptop through a J2534 pass through interface - mines called Davina ! have a look at the Diagnostic associates website,for some reason I cant paste a link to it,but Google will find it.

SDD is slow and at times frustrating,but it does ALL of the tasks you need.

I too have a Snap on Modis and an L322

Modis can get into all the air suspension, gearbox,airbag, brakes and engine management systems on the L322.

Not being manufacturer specific it can be used on almost any other car as well. I have used mine to read fault codes on all sorts of cars plus code in transit injectors, program some types of keys etc.

They do come up on ebay from time to time. I paid £1200 for one that was a couple of software loads out of date. I think the software update is about £400 a go from snap on dealers.

I have had it a few years now and never bothered to update it. Most cars I work on are 5 years old plus so hasn't caused me a problem yet.

I will probably get it updated next year

I had a l322 for nearly 5 years and used a faultmate fcr

https://blackbox-solutions.com/products.html

Worked great and done everything I wanted from it as a code reader.

I've also used a snapon modius to re calibrate the air suspension and although is a fantastic bit of kit it's not something to just leave in the glove box 'just in case'.

They aren't cheap Mick but seen a couple on eBay for the cost of a few main dealer visits.

What function do the Modis "Personality Keys" perform chaps?

Anyone know what software version would be needed to interrogate a L322?

Different vehicles and systems use different keys which you plug into the lead going from the Modis to the car

From memory S44 key is the main key used for most vehicles

S28 and S25 used for the L322 (one for engine/brakes, other for air suspension)

My Modis is only up to version 10.4 and I can do up to 2008 per the Modis - but from experience with other cars as long as there has not been a major update it will work on newer cars. I.e. mine will work up to when they made a major overhaul of the electrics in 09/10

Newer version of the software will almost certainly address this but I don't know what version you will need for 09/10 on

• 2 weeks later...

Well my Modis arrived earlier in the week & I have to say I'm impressed :i-m_so_happy:

I thought it would be overly complicated but it's actually quite user friendly so cheers for the recommendation chaps.

Talks to everything I've tried to date; Ford, Jag, Toyota, & of course LR.

Free fault reading / resetting in Lancashire for LR4x4 members now available :i-m_so_happy:

Software only goes up to 2010 though :blink:

• Like 1

It is a brilliant bit of kit! What version of software does it have loaded to get up to 2010?

Don't forget it is also much more than a code reader/resetter etc.

The 4 chanel scope has proved to be very useful on older cars where diagnostics are limited

The only problem with the Gap tool is that the instrument pack is a common point of failure and is the gateway for all the networks around the car on a D3/4,RRSFL2 etc.So if the pack is faulty you cant get any view of any other modules which are still functional.

The only problem with the Gap tool is that the instrument pack is a common point of failure and is the gateway for all the networks around the car on a D3/4,RRSFL2 etc.So if the pack is faulty you cant get any view of any other modules which are still functional.

Latest version module has bluetooth interface to get around this, though I think I read the usb interface can be used with a laptop to get around the problem of cars with no cruise control buttons - I've not had the need to get around that as yet, and mine doesn't have bluetooth.

Oddly, dashboard display is about the only thing I've never previously heard of failing on a D3! :mellow: