W/Gate Modulator

Shackleton

I am thinking that I might have a problem with the wastegate modulator on my Disco Td5.

I know it's only £20 for a new one but seems pointless changing it without seeing that it not working properly first. Is It possible to bypass the modulator to see if it is doing its thing or not? Or will that cause it to go into limp home mode?

Dave

Hi Dave, I just replied on your other post before seeing this. Yep, to bypass the modulator get a length of the same type of rubber pipe and connect it from the little outlet on the intercooler feed pipe straight to the wastegate actuator body up on the turbo. Hang on, I saw a video about it earlier, here it is.

Couple of things though, the pliers on the wastegate actuator arm isn't really a proper test. All connected up like that it shouldn't have any play. It's the wastegate that need to be sloppy. You need to take that heat shield off and take that arm off the actual wastegate. Then flap it by hand to make sure it's totally free. Also, you'd be forgiven for presuming when some people say wastegate sticky, they mean modulator sticky. Both items can have problems. So they're both potential areas to look into.