Welding Gas Revisited.

Astro_Al

Howdy all. I've been trying to get a pic onto the gallery regarding this thread, but it doesn't seem to work, so here goes anyway.

I set up my Tig last week. Had a blast getting stuck into it, but I have some problems with the gas supply (same as Mig, so stick with me).

The welder has one of those mincy little gas tube coming out the back, rather than the 'proper' size ones which can attach direct to the bottle. So there is an adapter to mate with the larger gas pipe from the bottle. This adapter leaks. Can anyone tell me the correct way to mate the two? Is there some rock solid way to do it? Even when it doesn't leak (which depends on the angles of the pipes), the two pipes can be blown apart by the pressure in the tube. :(

Secondly, what is the correct way to lift a gas bottle (no handle) with a hoist / chain? I had to get the largest size and I'd rather use a hoist to remove it from my trolley than go through that ball-ache again when it runs out...???

Cheers for any input, or offers to host my piccy of the gas adapter.

Al.

Cos I don't know how! :(

Ta John.

The tubes on the right are the thicker tube from the gas bottle fitted to the thin tube from the welder. This black adapter is what leaks.

On the left is a different tube for using small (disposable) gas bottles with a big welder, or possibly for using big gas bottles with a small welder - can't remember, I bought it years ago when I had a teeny little welder, but I figured it could be relevant/useful...?

Any thoughts? How is it normally done?

Al.

Thats how it normally works. Industrial size welders usually have the larger sized pipe. "Hobby" type ones have the smaller pipe. What you've got there is the conversion pipe to convert a hobby type welder to use the big bottles. I had one on my old welder and it never leaked. Have you tried a new connector - the one you have may be damaged?

Cheers

Jon

Jon - yup, sounds like its a bit knackered... :(

I was a bit suprised to see the hobby type tube on the Cebora to be honest. The tube goes straight through the unit and out the front into the torch.

Any thoughts on the lifting? If I just rap a chain around the bottle as tight as poss, will it's wonky angle-of-dangle give enough friction to hold it as I lift, or is there a special way?

John - thanks for the heads up, I feel a richer man. Let me know if you can see mine... ;)

post-139-1162822520_thumb.jpg

Al.

go and buy a grown up gas solenoid you weed :P

if you cant be bothered bin the little clamps and replace them with good jubes and silicone - the side nip clamps are famous for being totally pooh

'ere John - recovered from the heat stroke from last night?

Jez - if you are on about the earth clamp, I have replaced the poxy one with a screw clamp (can see a bit of it in the pic above). If you're not on about the earth clamp - what are you on about?!?!? :blink:

Care to share the tech on the 'gas solenoid'? Are you suggesting replacing the whole torch for one with a proper leccy solenoid trigger? I guess replacing the whole torch is the only way to get rid of the poxy little hobby-type gas tube? But if I'm gonna do that maybe I'd be better putting the money towards a poncier Tig - now I know it's do-able (with more practice!)? I reckon if i can just seal the tube joint I'd be happy enough with this one for now - I'm having lots of fun with it! :)

John - thanks for the link, this kid shares my sentiments on how cool it is to post that sort of link to people using work PCs... ;)

post-139-1162827601_thumb.jpg

Al.

noooo -

those hose clamps in the picture are side nip jobs - they are carp, replace them!!!

proper solenoid, proper torch and you are in business with a big hose, you can make the setup work that you've got though, just change the hose clips!!

squeezey triggers arent so bad - less to go wrong but can leak (as can everything else), bottle off when you stop welding is best practice, squeezy triggers mean you can vary the post arc gas without playing with nobs

you mean hes not already John??

Frankly I'd take the title of Tig Queen as a compliment [if I deserved it... :( ].

Ah! HOSE CLAMPS! I see! You're not wrong - they don't grip the adapter at all! Having said that, although this clamp is where it can 'pop' apart, the actual leak is in the black adapter (seems to be made of 2 bits which can move relative to one another, causing leakage).

I'll have a look at torches / solenoids - as you say, the manual valve for post flow is kinda handly though... Having said that, more buttons (post-flow control) = more tool bling! :P Mind you, a pedal would be nice, plus AC would be a bonus...

Mrs Jez is Tigging huh? Cool - I should get some pointers. Since the sum total of the Jez Tigging School Tutorial was: 'There it is, get on with it'. :rolleyes:

Now, does this sunburn have anything to do with a certain mysterious text message, perchance...?

If the 'pimp-level' goes up to 11, what the hell does the current setting go up to???!!! :o Sounds like one of those welders you can only use while wearing a fur coat, platform shoes and at least 34 yards of gold chain... B)

Bottle always gets switched off anyway.

Al.

Mrs Jez is Tigging huh? Cool - I should get some pointers. Since the sum total of the Jez Tigging School Tutorial was: 'There it is, get on with it'. :rolleyes:

it was much more fun to watch you and Andy than do anything remotely sensible so you cant blame me :lol:

its associated with the text - think Florida pimp, the fur would be a bit sweaty - more silk welding smocks with Croc skin riggers, plenty on the gold though ;)

Florida pimp huh? Man, I gotta say it - you're getting to be a classy guy this last year or so!

Croc-skin riggers??? :o You have GOT to give me the name of your tailor! :o

Anything that justifies wearing the '2001 - A Space Odyssey' welding gauntlets has got to have an incalculable bling factor. B)

Yeah - the voice of reason John. I'll check it out & change the clamp on the fat tube to a double jubilee clip or something.

So no-one has the tech on using a hoist to shift a BIG gas bottle? It's not so much the weight, it just has nothing to hold on to. If you try to 'hug-lift' it, it just slides out of your arms. I was gonna get a hand underneath, but I've just had some ribs and vertebrae put back in place (too much of the :ph34r: 'other hobby' :ph34r: ), and didn't want to put it all out again...

In the end I had to get medieval on my own ass and do it Egyptian-Pyramid-Building stylie with ramps and whips. Well, it seemed like a good excuse at the time. :unsure:

Cheers, Al.