LT77

geoffbeaumont

Andy, who posts here has done it the other way round so I guess its not a problem. The LT77 is to be treated with caution unless you know its history due to mainshaft woes. However this can eb easily checked when the box is on the floor (not so easy on EBAY!)

Going rate is £395 for a reconditioned with warranty down to about £50 from Ebay for a "best of luck" job. Personally changing the box on a Disco is such a PITA I would only wish to do it once so would get a recon first as last, in which case get the R380

Andy, who posts here has done it the other way round so I guess its not a problem.

Fi (VeryDisco) also has an R380 in her 200Tdi - she said she'd had to fit part of a 300Tdi exhaust to do it, so not sure if an LT77 would require a 200Tdi exhaust.

The LT77 is to be treated with caution unless you know its history due to mainshaft woes. However this can eb easily checked when the box is on the floor (not so easy on EBAY!)

Same goes for the R380...that's what's wrong with the current box. That and a knackered baulk ring on 3rd.

This LT77 is a recon box that was only used for a short while before the truck it was in was scrapped - plus it's sat at the back of the yard at work so I can take a good look at it before I make an offer :)

Going rate is £395 for a reconditioned with warranty down to about £50 from Ebay for a "best of luck" job. Personally changing the box on a Disco is such a PITA I would only wish to do it once so would get a recon first as last, in which case get the R380

What makes the Disco a PITA? Seems to be a lot better access round the gearbox than a Range Rover.

The thing that's most likely to swing the decision is whether I'm going to keep the Disco or replace it with a sensible runabout and just have the Range Rover. If I sell it, I'm guessing having an LT77 instead of an R380 is going to devalue it quite a bit - bearing in mind that it's an otherwise completely standard truck?

Think you need to decide whether to keep the truck first by the sound of it. If so then the box sounds like it should be a good buy for the right money, especially if you can have a look at it.

Lets just say I found it a PITA to change the box. Sort of depends on you workshop facilities to a large extent. But lying in a puddle with the weight of the gearbox and transfer box on my chest while trying to line up the input shaft with the clutch was a PITA to me :-)

Think you need to decide whether to keep the truck first by the sound of it. If so then the box sounds like it should be a good buy for the right money, especially if you can have a look at it.

Lets just say I found it a PITA to change the box. Sort of depends on you workshop facilities to a large extent. But lying in a puddle with the weight of the gearbox and transfer box on my chest while trying to line up the input shaft with the clutch was a PITA to me :-)

I borrowed Moglite's transmission jack when I took the gearbox out of the old Range Rover - that made it a lot easier. Mind, so did cutting the tunnel out of the floor - the bell housing bolts are a git to get at on the Range Rover.

cant see why they needed to change the zorst, my R380 went in with nothing changed on the back of my 200Tdi. about the only 'problem' with fitting the wrong box i found was the gearknob displays the wrong gate - or you fit the correct knob for the box & it doesnt match your interior.

im told you need to remove a couple of studs to fit the way round i did, so probably for you too. however all my studs had seized to the nuts so it wasnt a problem. i do recall i couldnt refit a couple of them though. my bellhousing will nolonger seal even with the wading plug in, dunno if its normal for the 'wrong' box mind.

one day when i rebuild my LT77 properly im getting rid of the nasty R380 i have. its got that damn 'no you CANT have reverse or second' fault some of them have.

Had a look at it today - it's sat outside and it's been there for a few months, which isn't ideal. I'm a bit concerned that the input shaft is on the rusty side - should I be? At least there's only a little sideways movement it. A little is normal isn't it? I know that's not very precise... :unsure:

Wish I knew a bit more about gearboxes...

a little play in the mainshaft is not an issue. IIRC my recon box had a bit too. What you neeed to check is the condition of the output splines where the transfer box sits. The splines and the valleys between shopuidl all be the same size. If the splines look smaller than the valleys then they are worn and are on the way out. I will see if I can find a picture of mine

Had a look at the gearbox and it doesn't look right to me - front end looks like an LT77, but back end looks like it's from a rear wheel drive only vehicle, and I can't find any serial numbers that make sense according to Ashcrofts web site. Either I've found the wrong gearbox or David's forgotten which boxes he's got lying around.

post-1-1163081836_thumb.jpg post-1-1163081858_thumb.jpgpost-1-1163081873_thumb.jpgpost-1-1163081887_thumb.jpg

BTW - he's got several big transfer boxes out of (I think) Bedford army trucks. Look way too big to stuff in a land rover, but if they're any use for silly machines I think he's looking to shift some of them.

post-1-1163081897_thumb.jpg

yep that looks like a 2wd LT77 to me. the 5th gear housing (bit at the back) is different & so forth.

changed the oil several times wavey, no difference except to my pocket - some of us have to PAY for oils. i will get enough room oneday to rebuild my LT77 & then i'll have the right box back in the rustheap, when i rebuilt it last time i know what i did wrong - but it had a beautiful shift for 400miles till it re-died.

Well, had a look at the right box on Friday - seems to be in excellent knick, and unlike the one I found in the yard it's been stored indoors (which is why I couldn't find it). Can't see the output shaft splines as it's got an LT230 on the back - not even a recon one, either, it was apparently brand new and fitted at the same time as the gearbox. This is actually slightly inconvenient as I don't need the TB, but I guess I can sell my old one on.

The only black mark is that he's managed to bend the gear stick when removing it - no sign of any other damage as a result.

Anyone want to take a stab at what this lot's worth?

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, what do I need to lay in for this job? New clutch - MM4x4 do a Borg and Beck clutch kit for £75, which sounds reasonable. Will fit new mounting rubbers for the engine an gearbox while I can. Are there any gaskets I need, or bolts I should replace? Anything else I haven't thought of?

cant think of any bolts etc that'd need replacing, except the rubber gater around the sticks is held to the floor with rivets. i would change/reinforce the clutch fork though, im sure you know about the fault where they wear through.

try & make a note of the wires for difflock/reversing light switches. on mine all 4 are green - lucky the pairs are different lengths or it'd have got interesting.

cant think of any bolts etc that'd need replacing, except the rubber gater around the sticks is held to the floor with rivets. i would change/reinforce the clutch fork though, im sure you know about the fault where they wear through.

I've got plenty of pop rivets, and I've already PM'd Les H to see if he can do me a reinforced clutch fork :)

try & make a note of the wires for difflock/reversing light switches. on mine all 4 are green - lucky the pairs are different lengths or it'd have got interesting.

Thanks for the warning! I'll make sure I label them as I remove them.