Wiring Harness

Hi all,

I'm about to start building a harness for a friends Defender. Its a new build from scratch with a new chassis, its got a disco V8, and Puma instruments (guts replaced with TD5 gauges to avoid ECU.) He actually managed to get a Puma bulkhead for £350+vat direct from LR so using that rather than a galv repaired one.

Anyway none of that is really my problem (thankfully!) but he's given me the main harness from a TD5, and the engine harness from the dicso V8. I'm going to start totally from scratch but need to get pin outs for the relays/ignition etc. Where would be the best place to find such information.

Thanks

Thanks, I probably wont use the diagrams much for the engine as they are painful all broken up like that however the detail of the information on some of those pages is great which makes if much easier to understand whats going on.

I think for the most part I'd like to just start from scratch design everything that's necessary then add in everything else. I build wiring harnesses anyway but have just never had to design one myself before.

Hey how goes it all ?

I think you will find the colours should match between the two looms so it should be just a case of

following the colours for the main circuits ? Mine was , a disco 1 tdi and a 87 RRC , and a bit of series !

How is your 90 going ?

cheers

Steveb

Its all good you?

Landy is in its new workshop new chassis all rolling with engine. Need to spray the body but I got into mountain biking and spent all other free time last summer building the new workshop. Also work long hours in the winter so hoping to make a big push on it this summer, have probably spent more time moving it around.

I have found that many of the common wires use the same colours. Once I go through it all properly wire by wire i'll have a better idea how its done. I'm building it as a sealed harness so its a bit of a prototype which i'll use for my own.

Yep all good CatJ , nice and busy with the steelwork and also lots of LandRover work too . I really enjoyed

making my wiring harness , very satisfying to do and have relayed and fused everything inside a waterproof enclosure . My

top tip is to wire in earth returns for everything and not rely on bodywork or chassis connections to make the circuit . It's

been on the road 10 years now and I've not had any wiring failures and only one bulb blow...

...lets hope I'm not talking it up though ! it is still Lucas after all

cheers

Steveb