Can a chassis be fixed (welded)

peter42

Today saw a Series 3 long wheelbase. The shop were I saw it is fixing up land rovers series. So they have land rovers in various stages of Restoration. Most of the land rovers they have have already an owner. They had though a land rover series 3 long wheel base. It had though a gab in the chassis. Sure not totally through the piece but part of it gone. See hyperlink of where on the chassis. If they guy of the shop is good, do you think this can be repaired by welding? the rest of the chassis looked ok.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-X_MwDgTm17NVplWkxVb05ZRms/view?usp=sharing

Btw, I am living in Thailand so not that super much choice here. and the result of the shop in general looks well. They strip down the land rovers up till the chassis and build it totally up again. Normally takes about 4 to 5 month.

What do you think repair of chassis is possible? Any other suggestions to consider?

Thanks,

Peter

Thanks for the information. Actually this gearbox cross member is still there just a little area of it is gone. About roughly 8 by 8 cm. Anyway, so welding would be good. I have the feeling that this shop knows about how to fix it. If I buy one, I will go over frequently to see the progress of the restoration.

Quick tip, if you do get a vehicle restored by a firm, do visit but be sure to make a scheduled appointment, you might get on their nerves doing random weekly checks, although it is adviseable to visit, it lets them know you are watching progress, or any distinct lack of it!

Chassis welding is no biggie, unless you are just patching over rot and not cutting it out and rebuilding it properly.

Nigelw Thanks for the info. I think they are very capable in getting things fixed there. I saw a few LRs in various stages of restoration. It all looked very good. Good advice about the appointment. Though for sure will do as they are a 200 km drive and 200 back as well.

As they have said, yes, welding a Land Rover chassis is easy and very common. My own vehicle has only about 50% of original chassis. I was repaired using patches and parts from other donnor vehicle.

DSC_0163.jpg

DSC_0180.jpg

Some members from this forum have made excellent chassis works, like De Ranged with his 109 camper

DSCF2886.jpg

thanks again. This coming friday, I will pass the place again and have maybe a quick talk. Then in a few weeks I will there with a friend of mine who knows much more about series. By then hopefully will select one and get it fixed up.

The part you've shown as missing is the gearbox cross member. Sometimes these are bolt in items anyway.

Next one back is the bolt on gearbox crossmember.

It can be repaired, rather than replacing the whole thing, provided the correct thickness metal is used and seam welded in place.

Les

Yes that's not the gearbox crossmember, that's the flywheel housing crossmember, the one in front of it. It can be repaired, either by cutting and fitting new plates to the old size and shape, or just replaceing (neatly) with any piece of box section about the right size and of 3mm wall thickness.

Just be aware there isn't much room above it, and if you fit a 200TDi in it in the normal engine position, you need to drill a hole through it in the right place so you can actually get the timing pin in the bottom of the flywheel housing....otherwise you have to take the engine out to do the timing belt.....