300 Tdi: smoking when using engine braking

o_teunico

Hi,

A friend readjusted some time ago the IP in his 300 Tdi, in search of some more HP. The car feels more powerfull, but it smokes a lot (blue/white) when using engine braking. Some suggest that it may be oil entering cylinders from valve guides. Could be? How to probe that without lifting the head?

Could be just because the readjusted IP?

We want to upgrade the engine with bigger intercooler, VNT and reworked pump, but before that we need to be sure that the engine Is OK and will whithstand the upgrade.

My guess would be a badly adjusted FIP. I think what is happening here is that the FIP is injecting excessive fuel into the cylinders when off throttle, consequently the engine is pumping out black smoke (unburnt fuel).

To burn diesel you need substantial amounts of oxygen (greater than a petrol engine) which in the 300Tdi is supplied by the turbo, Diesels don't have a butterfly throttle restriction like a petrol engine so the intake is always "open" all the acceleration is taken up by the amount of fuel injected, however if this is excessive in ratio to the inducted air quantity then blue/black smoke will be exhausted.

Check the FIP and re-adjust the idle and low range injection fuel quantities back to standard, the increases you desire being in the mid to high ranges only.

I had something similar on my 200Tdi where if the engine was cold and I was engine breaking down a hill it would churn out loads of white smote. I adjusted the FIP as far advanced as I could with a 9mm drill bit as a timing pin and it seems to have gone away.

My FIP had been adjusted (badly) by the previous owner but I haven't been bothered to mess about with that yet. I've had it for about 4 years (2 in the Discovery I bought and 2 in the 110 that I transplanted it into).

The white smoke you will be seeing on overrun will be vaporised diesel, my guess is he advanced the timing slightly, which would make the vehicle run better at higher rpm, but would make idle more tractor like and as a result of the advanced timing, the fuel does not have time to burn in an overrun situation, therefore coming out white rather than the partly burned black/grey smoke