Rebuilding Steering box

Jon W

I have had the steering box completely apart as the bearing at the top of the shaft had collapsed and lost all the bearing into the box. I have put new bearings (12) in the recirculating tube and refitted it. However I am struggling to see how I can get the ball bearings into the upper bearing and lower bearing which hold the shaft in place. I place them but in moving the shaft about to put the other bearings in they end up everywhere. Any hitns of tips as the the best way to doit as I am about the throw the towel in!

Thanks in advance

Jon

Been, there, done that. As Les says, then use a jubilee clip on the shaft to hold the upper bearing race and the balls against the top end of the worm. The shaft can then be threaded through the internal nut within the box. Then insert the recirculating balls - with more grease. As the worm is rotated and emerges through the bottom of the box, the lower race (with its balls held in already by grease) can then be added and the end plate fitted.

When the bottom plate is on, hold the whole lot in a vice (right way up), remove the jubilee clip and then the top outer tube can be bolted on. Turn it over in the vice again so that the bottom cap is facing up, remove it and you can then set the preload with the shims - without everything falling apart.

It is a right faff and patience test though! It's impossible to do in the vehicle and you really need a helper as well - plus it saves swearing to yourself....