101 Front Door Key

eds

I'm not familiar with the specific application but I'm betting that the original was made by "Willmot Breeden" in the 1970s.

Willmot-Breeden have subsequently metamorphosed into these guys: http://www.westonbodyhardware.com/our-products/ who still provide a whole range of hinges/latches/locks as used on UK 1960s-onwards classic vehicles.

If you have burst proof locks then the lock is the same as later series 3 vehicles. if an earlier 101 with non burst proof locks then series 2a locks are fitted. Buy suitable barrels as appropriate.

Unfortunately I'm not in front of the vehicle to know. It is a 1981 model. If I remember correctly it looks like a keyhole with black plastic rim. A bit like my rear door key hole on my defender 1993.

I'm heading for the later version of the above recommendation. Not sure what the burst bit signifies.

Any photos available? So I can try and see.

Thanks

The vehicle will be pre 1978 but may have been converted to am ambulance in 1981.

101 production run ran until 1978 and all supposed later models were only returned to Land Rover in 1980-1982 for a factory rebuild. The Ambulance bodies were added later to the standard chassis.

In that case you will have burst proof locks. Google burst proof door locks and series landrover door locks and you will see plenty of pics.

As above, should be a lift up series door barrel, don't be tempted to destroy the old barrel by twisting with a screwdriver as you will break the over centre spring.

Careful application of a 5mm hss bit and pick the bits out with a screwdriver. Don't forget to do the other 1 or 2 if you are picky like me, or you'll end up with many keys.

Yes - if you read the listing you will see that the listing has ended and ebay has substituted and other item (the ignition lock). If you click on the original listing link that is on the page the item opens.

There are plenty of the barrels on ebay - just do a search - easy peasy.

That ebay link leads to an ignition barrel.......

I assume that is a mistake and not the same as the door locks.

Am I right with part number MTC6503.

MTC, RTC, MUC, RRC etc is a newer part number, I found 395141 which is a more series esque number along with ESR ERR etc.

edit: looks like it will fit though.....

Pete