Paper gaskets or RTV?

Hi, All,

Quite some time ago I was reading a thread, and I can't even remember the topic, but I seem to remember that a contributor said that he no longer uses paper gaskets, but instead applies a thin layer of RTV compound. If my memory is correct, what are members views of this approach, both pros and cons?

If it's generally approved it sure would save me a lot of time cutting gaskets! Note that I'm not just down the road from my local LR dealer!

Mike

One of the jobs that I have to do on my Range Rover Classic to to replace the gaskets behind the drive flanges on the axles. They are RTV at the moment done at some time in it's past before me as some are weeping. I never have had that problem before with paper ones. Paper ones are easier to replace in my view because I think they are easier to remove after.

I just order the paper ones through the post, I don't cut them.

RTV can be used in some circumstances, such as diff pan, sump, etc, but not in all cases, such as manifolds, head (obviously), and anywhere that the thickness of the paper gasket is important. I've used it in places where the mating face is damaged and a new gasket won't affect a seal. RTV squeezes in and out when bolts are tightened, so the excess could at some point break free. I looked at an engine once that had the oil pick up strainer blocked with bits of RTV and the engine had siezed. People do tend to put it on like a bead of toothpaste, which is unnecessary. It should always be used sparingly.

Les

One of the jobs that I have to do on my Range Rover Classic to to replace the gaskets behind the drive flanges on the axles. They are RTV at the moment done at some time in it's past before me as some are weeping. I never have had that problem before with paper ones. Paper ones are easier to replace in my view because I think they are easier to remove after.

I just order the paper ones through the post, I don't cut them.

Agree, this is one place I prefer paper gaskets, as Les said it's horses for courses. A smear of grease on both sides of the gasket or a thin film of Hylomar spray and they don't leak and come apart clean.

Mostly I dislike RTV silicone, I'll use Loctite 515 or 518 for rigid assemblies, eg stub axles to axle housings, t/case assembly and am using a thick cardboard type gasket instead of RTV on a 300Tdi sump. (not sure you can get those in the UK ?)

Another vote for paper/ card and grease. Yes they do come apart easily and in an emergency can be use again.

Did you know that Hylomar was developed in the 1960's by Rolls Royce for face to face joints on theit "B" series industrial engines.